Just starting the journey

14 years 4 months ago #28443 by michstate89
Replied by michstate89 on topic Just starting the journey
Vi,

I had a low grade superficial tumor removed via TURBT in March 2006. By September 2006 I had 4 new tumors - removed by cauterizing. In October 2006 I moved to a new city and saw a new doctor in December 2006 - had 11 tumors removed, but this time the doctor took out each tumor with appropriate margins for review, instilled mitomycin for 30 min post-op, and left a catheter in with a saline wash for 24 hours; he was very thorough and even though I have had BCG treatments, I think the care he took during that 3rd TURBT is the main reason I have been cancer free since. That first tumor seeded many tumors afterwards. I too would recommend a second opinion with someone who sees BC everyday, as it never hurts.

Ross

Ross M
TaG1 March 06
Recurrence Jan 07
BCG Maintenance after 6 week treatment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 4 months ago #28427 by Nix
Replied by Nix on topic Just starting the journey
Vi
Patricia and Mike covered all the bases. I would also recommend a second opinion. At each crossroad I went for another opinion, with my Uro's blessing.
I also had Ta, Papillary non-invasive BC, and you still have to keep a close watch on your bladder. Unfortunately, BC is one of those cancers that keep returning. Nine months after my original surgery, I had Ta Papillary and CIS. That is why we keep such a close watch. After 24 BCG I am happy to report I am two years clean, but a close watch is still warranted.
You certainly came to the right place, everyone is so educated and so willing to help you along.
It is very good news you have Ta Papillary non-invasive BC, just keep doing your research, so you are involved in your treatment.

Nix

Nancy S
Ta CIS
dx Ta 11/06
dx Ta CIS 10/07

14 years 4 months ago #28426 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Just starting the journey
Oncovite loaded with Vitamin A and not all beta carotine
Excessive Vitamin A intake usually occurs through consumption of large amounts of Vitamin A supplements. Vitamin A is used in the body for vision, immunity and bone and tissue growth and maintenance. Excessive Vitamin A use during pregnancy may increase the risk of birth defects. Vitamin A overdose can cause symptoms such as orange skin, blurred vision and nausea. Vitamin A toxicity can cause more severe symptoms such as growth retardation, hair loss and enlarged spleen and liver and even death. Retinol and beta carotene both belong to the Vitamin A family. The body automatically removes excess beta carotene so it is impossible to overdose on this type of Vitamin A.
See also the 2007 JAMA report
blcwebcafe.org/content/view/159/170/lang,english/
Just eat healthy...take a multi
Lots of snake oil salesmen out there
Pat

14 years 4 months ago #28422 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Just starting the journey
Vi,

Diet is considered a factor for preventing cancer in the first place. While it certainly doesn't hurt and is generally good for you to have a better diet it does not cure cancer.

Hard to ever recommend against diet and exercise. :)

I suggest that you not "wait and see". My recommendation is that you call ask your urologist for a referral to UCH since it is so close to you. Have them do the TURB (or re-TURB) within 6 weeks of your last one.

Without having a full pathology report that indicates your doctor got good clear margines around the tumor (especially since it was done in his office), you really want to be sure he got it all by having this done.

The UCH is a great bladder cancer center and is close to you. It doesn't mean you don't like your local urogist. By all means, he can probably even do what ever treatment (if any) is recommended by the urologists at the cancer center.

You MAY NOT have cancer. He MAY have gotten it all. Yours was low grade and that is a VERY, VERY, VERY good thing! :)

You WILL feel better if you go to the cancer center and CONFIRM that the cancer is truly all gone.

:D

I am hoping for the best possible outcome for you!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 4 months ago #28421 by vgau
Replied by vgau on topic Just starting the journey
All of this is so new to me and the wait and watch seems wrong when the word cancer is involved. I never realized how many different things have to be considered.

While no, I am not in denial, I also hate how much this is on my mind and don't want it to control my life. I wake up in the night and say "Man, Vi, You have cancer" which is something no one wants to think about.

Right now, I plan to continue with my research, and pay close attention to making sure I am doing all I can.

I've read so much about diet. Has anyone heard of these and do they make a difference?

Cottage cheese and flaxseed oil?
Broccoli daily
Oncovite (mega-dose vitamin)

Thanks,
Vi

Dx 10/5 Non Invasive Papillary

14 years 4 months ago #28416 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Just starting the journey
Vi...you might ask your general internist who the best radiologist is in town and have him take a look at it for a second opinion. When they first saw my CT..one said pneumonia, another said Cancer, and my internist said..oh Geesh..let me get this to someone who knows how to read these.
And he saw a scar...and thats what it is..an old scar..it shows up on every CT scan or chest x-ray and throws everyone in a tizzy and i just tell them to have my regular radiologist read it. i've even called him on one occasion when a new radiologist read my CT scan and informed me i had gallstones. He called me back in about 20 minutes and said....NO Gallstones...radiolgist had never seen an Indiana Pouch before!..So second opinions are not just for doctors, they should be for radiologists and pathologists as well.
And to not expose you to more radiation why not ask for a chest x-ray in 3 months to see if there is any change? Then you can go from there.
AS for how long its been there...anybodys guess but you're lucky they did a urinalysis and referred you. I didn't think i had any symptoms either as i never saw any blood but i did see tea colored urine for years but never gave it a second thought. NOw i know better. Who ever talks about bladder cancer and the symptoms?
Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne