Looking for some help!

14 years 6 months ago #28039 by rudyskier
Replied by rudyskier on topic Looking for some help!
Mike thanks for the information. I starting to feel a little less anxiety already from the great information I am getting here.

God Bless
Rudy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 6 months ago #28038 by rudyskier
Pat, thanks for that info. I am in Colorado. My regular Urologist is refering me to a Urology surgeon in the urology group who supposedly specializes in this type of bladder removal and reconstruction. He is also experienced in Davinci surgery as well. I was going to ask him how many he has done. I am grateful for the infomation about the number of procedures since I really had no idea how many would qualify one as being proficient at this type of thing. I do know that he went Baylor Med school and did his internship at LA County Un Southern Cal. Specializing in Urology and bladder reconstruction. practicing for 21 years. If I choose to use him we would go to Poudre Valley Hospital which is rated one of the best hospitals in US. I hope I am a candidate for the Davinci surgery. They have been using the Davinci system at Poudre Valley since 2004.

Any other info would be helpful

Thanks
Rudy

14 years 6 months ago #28037 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Looking for some help!
Rudy,

I was in the hospital 12 days after but that was due to an ileus (intestines didn't wake up properly). My strong advise to avoid what happened to me is: WALK, WALK, WALK after the surgery. At least 3 times a day whether you feel like it or not. Have someone come to the hospital to make you walk. I think average time in the hospital is 6-7 days after neobladder. Surgery time is 7-10 hours. Mine was 7.5 hours.

Once the ileus problem cleared up, I felt pretty good. You will wake up from with one or more drainage tubes, tubes in your ureters and a catheter in. Most likely a morphine pump will be a good friend for the time in the hospital. The tubes in the ureters are to bypass the neobladder until it has time to heal up and can retain fluid. They will flush the neobladder four to six times a day by pumping water in and drawing it back out.

I was spending time online at home within days of getting home but not much time. I had no problem going up and down stairs to go from my bedroom to the living room and kitchen areas. Started walking outside after getting the catheter out but I wouldn't go far. I would just walk a bit away from the house, then back the other way past the house, and then back to the house. Didn't want to go too far for a while but needed to get out and walk.

I didn't have much problem with food but others have found they have new food sensitivities. Bowels will be a problem for a little while. You will lose some weight from the surgery but mine all came back (I was hoping it wouldn't).

It's 4-6 months before feeling fully up to speed again but that doesn't mean you can't do anything for all that time. I was traveling on business 6-8 weeks after getting out of the hospital (can't remember exactly but I know it was in that range).

Pat's advise is important and it leads to a key question I would advise. "How many of these neobladder surgeries do you do in a year?" That is a key question. You want someone with LOTS of experience. The more experience, the fewer the complications.

You also want someone with lots of "nerve sparing" surgery when they remove the prostate. That makes a big difference for later when you'd want to resume intimate activities.

That's the main thing I can think of right now.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 6 months ago #28033 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Looking for some help!
Rudy...don't know where you are located and i'm guessing you've been with the same Uro from the beginning. For the surgery you are about to embark on you really want to be at a major cancer facility or university facility and uro/surgeon who performs this surgery on a regular basis. 60 a year is not an unusual number for top surgeons who do neobladders. Ask your surgeon how many he has done. Even if you are best buddies and you absolutely love him if he does not perform these routinely get another opinion and interview another surgeon that does. I truly hope he falls in that category and that you don't fall through the cracks.
Pat

14 years 6 months ago #28029 by rudyskier
Mike: Thanks for the information. I am somewhat relieved to hear that. I am setting up an appointment to see my surgeon sometime next week. I am glad to hear that this has worked for you.

I will probably have more questions, like these:

I have downloaded a surgery info sheet with questions to ask, but do you have any suggestions as to what to ask?

I know this is an intense procedure, but what was your recovery time? How long was your initial hospital stay and then how long before you actually felt like trying to resume some type of normalcy?

Thanks
Rudy

14 years 6 months ago #28025 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Looking for some help!
Rudy,

If you do get the neobladder, you will still be able to do all of those things. You can even do them if you got the Indiana pouch or the ileal conduit. You can even scuba dive with either option.

My one year neobladder anniversary was the 8th of this month.

Feel free to ask any and all questions as there are lots of us who've been through it and can give you pointers.

The fact that you are otherwise healthy and active is something in your favor when it comes to recovery. After a brief period of continence issues with the neobladder, you will be up for all of your favorite sports. AND...you won't have to worry about prostate issues with the bike seat. Used to bother me before the surgery anyway.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne