Husband DX with Stage IV

14 years 8 months ago #26577 by mznoregrets
Replied by mznoregrets on topic Husband DX with Stage IV
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this disease. I was treated at Mayo's and I would strongly encourage you to call them asap. I was a stage T3b and they saw me within 2 days and did my surgery withing the week. Dr Micheal Blute is the chair of urology and Carl Christianson is his assisstant. If you have not been there before - you will be amazed at how quickly and efficiently they schedule tests and how little wait time there is until you get the results and start treatment. I drove 275 miles each way and it was well worth it.
Let me know if I can help. Holly
PS On the ACOR email list there are many who are battling advanced stages. I would sign up on it, and hopefully Wendy S, Wendy R, Hildegard or Karen will respond quickly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #26574 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Husband DX with Stage IV
I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I have learned that the "motto" of the American Bladder Cancer Society is GET A SECOND OPINON! Therefore I would second Patricia's advice. You are very fortunate to be close to someplace like the Mayo Clinic, and it would be an excellent idea to make an appointment there ASAP.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

14 years 8 months ago #26570 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Husband DX with Stage IV
Alisa...i know many others will pop in soon. Just wondered if you have been to Mayo Clinic which treats thousands of cases of bladder cancer a year and if you haven't it certainly would be a great second opinion and opportunity to see whats out there and to have a complete team for treatment.
www.mayoclinic.org/bladder-cancer/rsttreatment.html
Pat

14 years 8 months ago #26561 by alisa8527
Husband DX with Stage IV was created by alisa8527
Hi everyone, Im new my husband was dx with stage IV bladder cancer on march 24th, he's only 33, we live in Minnesota, We have two small children, i just feel like we were handed a raw deal in life, His cancer has spread to the prostate, lymph nodes, a spot on his muscle chest adn in his left thigh muscle, When we first got the news the urologist told us pretty cut and dry that it wasnt good, it was a high grade, agressive cancer and if we did nothing, he gave us maybe 2 years, but from what im reading on line even with the chemo i dont see much hope, we recieved good news in the beginning of june that according to the catscan the tumor and multiple spots have reduced in size but due to having low blood counts he missed two treatments and during this time his cancer grew back some, the only treatment being offered is Cistoplatin/gemzar, basically thats where the options end, i just feel there should be more options for us, anyone have any ideas??? i know im grabbing at strings, i just dont want to see my husband die at such a young age .

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne