Son newly Dxed BCG questions-bcn33

14 years 11 months ago #25483 by Donna49
Replied by Donna49 on topic Son newly Dxed BCG questions-bcn33
It is not reasonable to ask you not to be scared because it is a very confusing time for your family. But, as someone who is fairly new (Dec 08)as well,and still learning the ropes, I can assure you that this part of it is not that bad. BCG reacts differently in different people. I have had 6 so far with varying degrees of reaction. Jack has had 30.I have returned to work directly after treatment, gone shopping, and last time actually fell asleep with the darn stuff still in me.(Not reccomended!) My experience to date has been either no side effects or some burning, bleeding, and debris. That may sound scary in itself but it usually only lasts about 12 hours. A few tylenol helps alot as well as drinking alot of water and vegging out on the couch for a while. I take my treatments on friday afternoon so I don't have to worry about work and can laze around like a goddess all weekend if I want! lol
Your son, on the other hand, may have very little reaction and breeze right through it. Everyone is different.Do I look forward to another round? NO! But if it keeps the cancer away then bring it on! Hope this helps. Hey,I know that if I can do it - anyone can!

Take care

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #25416 by Moonerj
Replied by Moonerj on topic Son newly Dxed BCG questions-bcn33
Hi Bcn33

As Cynthia has said, there are many here who have been dx with the same type of bladder cancer as your son. My path reports indicate I have TA Grade1 tumors. I was dx in January 2006, have had several BCG treatments, and have been cancer free now 16 months.
I know in the beginning it is very confusing and worrisome.
But you have come to a place here, where we fellow survivors can help and guide you through this ordeal.
Ask as many questions as you wish.
Ensure your son gets a copy of his pathology report.
We are here for you and your son.
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

14 years 11 months ago #25412 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Son newly Dxed BCG questions-bcn33
First of all take a deep breath you have to know that there are all kinds of stages and grades of bladder cancer and if you study ones that do not apply it will only confuse you and frighten you badly. Here are a few links that will help you. Know that you and your son are not alone in this we are here and you are in the company of half a million bladder cancer survivors in America alone. Keep posting and asking questions information it the biggest gift that you can give your son at this point. Remember if treated right that non invasive bladder cancer has a survival rate of over 90%.

Excerpt from Massachusetts General Hospital Cancers Centers Bladder Cancer Page

www.bladdercancersupport.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=102

Excerpt from the Cleveland Clinic Bladder Cancer Page

www.bladdercancersupport.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=15&Itemid=63

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

14 years 11 months ago #25411 by Cynthia
Son newly Dxed BCG questions-bcn33 was created by Cynthia
Having trouble moving this so had to do it manually posted for bcn33

Son recently diagnosed with bladder cancer.."in situ" Wondered about the treatments, they are using tuberculin, I understand. I notice references to BCG in posts, what is that? Just trying to understand without scaring myself any further.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne