BCG question

17 years 3 months ago #2909 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic BCG question
Thanks Wendy. The on-call urologist just called me. He's putting me on Cipro right away and said I'll have to review with my regular urologist about maybe needing to stop bcg. I'm certainly voting for reduced dose before we go that extreme but he said there are some other tests that can be done first.
Temp went from 100.4 to 101.1 in 20 minutes. Just took some Tylenol and will be heading out to the pharmacy to pick up my Cipro.

I REALLY want to do this BCG thing if at all possible. Will send an update after talking to my doc next week.

Thanks again,
Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 3 months ago #2908 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic BCG question
I suspect that if you also have fever you'll be put on serious antibiotics immediately. I hope it will all pass over, and obviously you're sensitive to BCG and will probably need to lower the dose in order to complete the treatments.

I saw in your earlier posts that your treatments were delayed because of blood in the urine. That's wise. You also mentioned taking pyridium which would mask gross hematuria. Good point...so can you check it with hematuria strips to make sure you're not bleeding, or have the doctor investigate and rule out blood in the urine now.

BCG should never be given in face of symptoms from the last dose. There is such thing as 'too much of a good thing' when it comes to immunotherapy. Lowering the dose is part of tailoring the treatment to fit the person. Skipping a dose is necessary sometimes and won't mess with the ultimate (possible) effectiveness of the BCG treatment.

Be very careful and take good care of yourself. I hope the doctor you're expecting to hear back from knows his stuff when it comes to the subject of BCG!
Wendy

17 years 3 months ago #2907 by mmc
Second BCG yesterday. Managed to hold this one in for 1 hour and 4 minutes. As soon as I stood up to get some water and juice, I started getting spasms. Burned like hell at the start of voiding and there was a good bit of blood in the first five or so voids. I took a peridium so I wasn't sure about the blood after that but it still burned quite a bit every time I got up in the night.

Today, I took my wife to get an MRI on her knee and about passed out in the waiting room. My body produced a massive amount of seat and I was drenched. It passed after about 15 minutes but I was pretty cold and had the heat on blasters on the drive home. She couldn't drive because of the valium she took prior to her MRI (claustrophobic). The dizziness was gone but she said I was pretty darn pale when she came out. Starting having chills last night but I piled on the blankets each time I got back from the bathroom.

The Tice BCG document says to call the doc if you get bleeding, burning, urgency, chills, and I seem to have all of them. Anybody know what the doc is going to say when the on-call gets back to me? I'm guessing they just say to rest and relax.

Thanks,
MIke

Age 54

17 years 3 months ago #2576 by skypilot
Replied by skypilot on topic BCG question
Hello that is the way I did my first round of BCG. the ride home then 15 min each side and back. This did not work next turb Doc wanted me to do an RC but it was still a T-1 so I went to a cancer center top uro. When I did my second round of bcg and interferon mixture. this uro had me stay in the office if I wanted and did my rollarounds rite then in there. Peed before I left the office.you see your kidneys produce 50 cc of urine into the bladder every hour. So it makes good since to do it rite away so the BCG is not deluted. I just had my turb after this round on Monday no tumers at all I will get path report I hope by the end of today. I will be making a seperate post on this last treatment I went thru and the finale results. Dam I hope I am clear of this poisen, they call cancer. Don

Hanging in there!

17 years 3 months ago #2571 by mmc
Thanks to all for the different suggestions. Burning gone away now. Might have been some from the cath but I think some from the bcg stuff. The water, water, and more water approach seemed to work fairly quickly.

No other side effects at all except for that burning and shooting pain stuff. Since the bladder was barely healed from the TUR, it could have aggravated that area which caused spasms.

Mike

Age 54

17 years 3 months ago #2570 by wildbill
Replied by wildbill on topic BCG question
Hi MMC. Well you had your 1st bcg treatment WOW thsi is what i did i came home it took about 40 min. to get home then I layed down on one side for 30 min. then turn on the other side for30min. then the other side for 30 min. then the other side for 30 min. then go urinate then drink mass quantities of cranberry juice and i didn't even like cranberry juice I thought it was somithing women drink for a yeast infection man I did not know what i was missing i love cranberry juice know. Well after you urinate then drink lots of cranberry juice and water to flush out the bcg I had no burning when I had the bcg guess I was lucky? On one time i hurt was aftet my treatment and the 6 hour wait to flush out the bcg I went on a 6 hour trip to my Son's mother in law's funeral she died of cancer the funeral was on my 51st birthday . what a bummer...

Wildbill

Bill H
dob 4-19-1955
Live in la.ca
Plumber 1972----forever
12 grandkids
5 great grandkids

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne