Dad Daignosed with BC

14 years 3 months ago #29746 by JKolbinsky
Replied by JKolbinsky on topic Dad Daignosed with BC
Yes, they are taking lymph nodes and biopsy them on the spot as well. UC surgeons perform the surgery, but it's just done @ the VA, kind of weird how all the works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #29745 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Dad Daignosed with BC
Great News. FWIW, as a reminder, it's important for the surgeon to take as many lymph nodes as possible to check for any spread of the cancer. Many studies have show links betweeen the amount of nodes taken and later prognosis and treatment. I don't know how/if the Veterans Hospital does this, but you might inquire about it. I agree with Mike, life is fine after surgery. recovery is hard, but the memory soon fades as the rest of your life takes over.

Michael Greenberg

Michael
Age 58
Stage T2-T3, muscle invasive
Married to Eileen
2 sons, ages 20 and 23

14 years 3 months ago #29744 by JKolbinsky
Update: one of many to come

Turns out we did get a new CT scan and on Thursday sat down witha Urologists and my dad has finally realized that surgery is his only option to long and healthy life. His sugery is scheduled for Feb. 1st at the VA in Cincinnati. It is our only option due to his lack of health insurance, but honestly we are feeling very safe under the hands of the dr and their assistants.

Now is the time to pray that even though they don't see anything on the CT scan outside the bladder, just praying that once they get in there the Patholigist don't find anything. The doctors are very hopeful that the changes in his life have helped slow the cancer down, but now this is the best option he has.

I along with my whole family are very worried about the procedure, the recovery, and how my father is going to cope with his new lifestyle (at least for the first few weeks). As I've read and talked to Mike I know this journey is going to be a long and rigerous road, but I just know and have always known that this is what will save his life. Now it's just getting through the procedure and starting recovery.

14 years 5 months ago #28672 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Dad Daignosed with BC
Hey! I am SOOOOOO HAPPY to hear that he is getting checked out again. There are so many of us who've even had the surgery are quite happy. We are happy to answer questions. If he doesn't want to post, maybe he can give you a list of questions and you can post them for him. We are always happy to help.

It often saddens me when people think their quality of life will be an issue after surgery. My quality of life is just fine (and I even have some complications). Doesn't stop me from doing anything.

Yay!!!!!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

14 years 5 months ago #28670 by JKolbinsky
Thanks Cynthia! I def. haven't held out hope, now I'm just hopeing it isn't too late. I will keep you updated, praying that he just still has time... doing research on UC's urology program now. Trying to be prepared.. haha

14 years 5 months ago #28669 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Dad Daignosed with BC
Jessica,

Keep us updated please! Your Dad is a lucky man as far as daughters go lets hope that luck holds.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne