Just found a tumor...TURB next week...now what?

15 years 4 weeks ago #24751 by deand
OK - 2 days post Op and I feel pretty good. I think I am finally recovered from the anethesia, dont feel so sluggish anymore.

But, the "plumbing" symptoms are going full bore lol. I dont get much blood in the urine anymore. Very, very little and the urine is back to normal color, no clots. That is good. But damn it stings coming out - like peeing razor blades. They gave me percocet, but I dont like it, makes me nautious (sp?). Also, the urgency is pretty bad. I mean, when it comes, IT COMES, and I better be within 10 feet of a bathroom. Just comes out of nowhere...heck, I had the bathroom sink water running and that keyed something in me and I had to literally run to the bathroom lol. Hopefully that goes away soon and I have better control because I cant work like this unless I move my desk next to the bathroom....

But all in all, not too terrible of side effects from the surgery. Path labs back in a week. Doc told me 24 hours during consultation, but at surgery told me a week. Strange.

D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 4 weeks ago #24748 by mmc
At Poudre (pronounced Poo-der) Valley Hospital in Fort Collins, CO and at University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora, CO, they put you in a curtained off area pre-op. You meet the anesthesiologist and the doctor there. That's where you have the conversation about who you are and why you are there (about four or five times it seems). If you request Verced (great buzz and is also an amnesiac), they give it to you. My wife said that the nurses and I were singing "Wasted away in Margaritaville" while they wheeled me down to the OR for my TURBT/TUIP.

Both let you walk out of the hospital after recovery from the TURBT surgery but after my RC, my wife took me out in the wheelchair.

Personally, I like the way may hospitals do it!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

15 years 4 weeks ago #24746 by balihigh
I met when you leave the hospital, you must walk. In other hospitals they always made me ride no matter how I felt.

Yes, I would have something to brag about if I walked out of OR. Don't remember a thing there for many hours.
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

15 years 4 weeks ago #24745 by Patricia
Bali.....i hope you meant a wheelchair ride "in" not out......that would make you superwoman:blink:
Pat

15 years 4 weeks ago #24744 by balihigh
At Sloan Kettering I even walked to the OR for my radical cystectomy with no drugs. They don't evenn give you a wheelchair ride out either.LOL When I had my TURB's in NC and NY, I walked too. Guess that is the new way.
Balihigh

female 60
1/08 dx 4 tumors TURB
T1 G3
12 BCG + interferon
5/08 another tumor/TURB
9/08 RC illieal conduit

15 years 4 weeks ago #24738 by deand
Funny story lol.

I can honestly understand the "walk" to surgery, but making me wait for 2 hours with an IV in my arm and nothing to take the edge off was borderline cruel. I watched surgeon after surgeon walk in and talk to their patients (there were 9 of us in there waiting) about all sorts of personal things that all of us could hear. Doesnt HIPPA mean anything? So I got to hear all about other people's operations, their tumors, how their cancer had spread, what was going to be done to them etc. etc. while waiting 2 hours for my surgeon to come in and get me. That was nerve wracking and alittle Xanax or Valium would have been really appreciated. But I guess they know what they are doing....just wasnt alot of fun.

Again, appreciate all the support I have received on this board, I will let you know what the path report says and then I will put together my plan of attack for the next phase.

Dean

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne