Just found a tumor...TURB next week...now what?

15 years 1 week ago #24661 by mmc
Dean,

I was just reviewing this thread and realized I didn't answer one of your questions about TUIP.

Yes, it was a little better being able to pee.

Also, with regard to the catheter, if you do wind up going home with it (you may not), then ask them to give you some of the lubricating jelly. Put the lube on the catheter where it enters the body and going up the tube some.
When sleeping, men naturally get erections a few times a night. The with the lube on there it makes it a bit easier as the urethra slides up and back down during those times. :blink: Otherwise it can be somewhat uncomfortable. Your mileage may vary.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 1 week ago #24582 by Patricia
Dean....hate to tell you but recommendations for a second TURB are the norm these days........Here's an article written by Memorial Sloan in NYC and the infamous Dr. Herr.
www.urotoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_ua&id=2219050
its free to register to access this.
Pat

15 years 1 week ago #24581 by deand
Thanks for that info. I am going to be ADAMENT that my uro takes enough margin the first time. Hell, cut away, just get enough and all of it to make a full diagnosis. Dont want to do that a second time.

I am honestly not that worried about the surgery, I think its probably a piece of cake compared to the Gallbladder removal and the hernia surgery I had over the last couple of years. I am just a control freak and I hate being "messed with" - know what I mean. The catheter idea also bothers me, but hey, it is what it is. Chances are my "plumbing" is going to be messed with alot with this disease, need to get used to it.

Thanks for all your support, this is a wonderful site and it has been great. Appreciate it all.

15 years 1 week ago #24553 by Alan
deand,

I'll chime in my TURB experience. In at 8a, out, 30 minute procedure of anesthesia by 9a out of outpatient at 10a. Just be sure someone else drives you home, am sure your aware of that. I did have a 2nd as the pathologist was concerned about getting enough margins, so Uro repeated almost the same scenario 3 weeks later to be safe. Don't even remember any pain. Basically a non event. If you need BCG those side effects were more but, tolerable. You'll be fine!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

15 years 1 week ago #24551 by mmc
You should be able to go home after. Mine wasn't until around 7 or 8PM, which is why they kept me in. I left first thing in the morning and was fine.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

15 years 1 week ago #24550 by Moonerj
My 1st Turb I spent 2 nights in hospital. This was due to having 3 tumors removed, and bleeding and blood clots. Once my urine was clean I was able to leave. My next 2 Turbs, each only 1 tumor, I was home they same day, without the cath. So I believe the easier the surgery, the earlier you can go home.
I found my recovery from the last 2 TURBS easier, than my last 12 BCG treatments.
I wish you all the best.
Jack

TA Grade 1
3 Turbts
30 BCG Treatments
Cancer Free since Nov 2007

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne