Rock and a hard place.

15 years 2 weeks ago #24475 by Sam91403
Replied by Sam91403 on topic Rock and a hard place.
Thanks for the clarafication. I can understand her concerns. Those things can be scary.
Sam
The topic has been locked.
15 years 2 weeks ago #24474 by britt
Replied by britt on topic Rock and a hard place.
Sam, when I say "private dr" I mean one in the private sector-not affiliated with the VA in any way. Due to some nonesense they puled during my last heart attackk shes terrified of them handling me especially in a surgical context!
15 years 2 weeks ago #24473 by Sam91403
Replied by Sam91403 on topic Rock and a hard place.
Britt

Please encourage your wife to read the posts here. I think it will help her understand why a private doctor is not the way to go. My husband went to USC Norris and it was a blessing to know we were in their capable hands. This could be a long journey and it is most helpful to have your partner with you along the way. If she visits the site she will have a better understanding of the process and what you are going through. Good luck.
Sam
15 years 2 weeks ago #24472 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic Rock and a hard place.
Well Britt,

NO WONDER it hurt! :( Get the numbing stuff next time and ask them to wait 15 minutes before starting the procedure. My guess is you won't be jumping through the roof anymore. I doubt you have a blockage if the uro said it went right through. With the numbing stuff it will hurt a bit but not usually a lot and only while they are going through that spot.

Again, it is strongly suggested you get to a bladder cancer center.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...
15 years 2 weeks ago #24471 by britt
Replied by britt on topic Rock and a hard place.
WHen I had the first scoping done they didnt give me any numbing agent. They just went directly into the procedure. They did try to get it all the way in but when it hit am impasse the pain was immediately unbearable. It was so bad I tuned white as a sheet and almost passed out. They had no choice but to stop, Whe they did it under a general the dr said it wentright thru. SO does that sound like a blockage or that its just unduly sensitive? I would love to have the procedure done in the clinic rather than OR. Due to too much dsmsgr fone to my veins because of the health problems Ill do anything to avoid an IV these days.
Prior to the 90 follow-up scope once again Ill require the complete pre op chaclist. EEG, EKG, blood work and chest XRAY. Now theyve added an ultrasound of the bladder and some(?) crossection.
Heres what scares me a bit. When talking to the gir that does the scheduling I couldnt convince her that Prior meant before hand. She kept demanding that I do the scope first!
15 years 2 weeks ago #24470 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Rock and a hard place.
Ok i'm seeming like a harpy here....but a private practice Uro is in the office 4 days a week...maybe surgery 1 day a week. He will deal with mostly prostate problems.
On the other hand, the Uro/surgeons affliated with large cancer centers and urological centers or University centers will be in the OR 4 days a week and see patients 1 day a week. They will see more bladder cancer and have more expertise. This is not a well funded cancer. This is a cancer that has to be monitored constantly. The skill of your Uro/Surgeon/Pathology Dept. is of primary importance. This cancer has a tendency to be understaged.
Please don't put a price tag on your health.
Pat
Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne