Other patients in Western WA

17 years 4 months ago #2276 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Other patients in Western WA
Hi,

even small hotels can start to be costly, I do suggest you talk with welfare at the hospital as they 'may' have special deals for patients.

I don't know your age or circumstance but from your insurance your 'package' has limitations and you may well have periods with reduced income so NOW is the time to conserve to protect for the long term - a simple example: Lee and I want to sell our home & Shop and move out of the very centre of Chepstow to a house with garden, garage and some space, but although we have no morgage it is difficult.

We need to sell to liberate the money to buy as we are OKish asset wise but cash light - try getting bridging finance or a morgage to buy - offers vanish when you write CANCER on any official form >:(

No one plans Cancer but the second you are on the treadmill you MUST plan scenarios :-/

Good luck,
Regards,
Greg L-W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #2162 by Nancy
Replied by Nancy on topic Other patients in Western WA
Thanks, Mike & Greg - So far I'm going up the day b4, spending the night in a quiet hotel, doing chemo, then spending another night. My insurance doesn't cover any type of accomodations. Surgery is several months off so will work on that as time progresses.

The biggest problem is my diet - they want high calorie/protein. I'm many years low/non-fat, minimal meat, etc. Just spent 2 days in a lot of pain from abdominal bloating from too much food/fat calories. Spoke to nurse. She said to go back to regular diet and supplement w/something like instant breakfast.

Am in the process, or at least was, of restoring a 1930's home...all by myself. Looks like that will have to be put on hold. Am hoping that I'll be able to continue after surgery, etc. This is one time maybe my stubborness will pay off?

Thanks again, all.
Nancy

17 years 4 months ago #2122 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Other patients in Western WA
Hi,

I have NOT had chemo but I do know many who have and of various types - I really do think you are being very brave - have you a plan in hand for IF your response to Chemo is, as many find it, dibilitating?

I am concerned that if you do not have a contingency plan in place and you feel rough after a session what then? Sometimes courage can cause more problem than it solves.

I am NOT trying to scare you but you must take care of yourself - is it possible to rent, through the hospital perhaps, a secure room in or near the hospital if you just want to rest before travellinmg home - I know this complicates matters but surely an insurance policy that should be put in place if you possibly can. MOST people I know who have had chemo, if they were lucky and it did not make them feel rotten at some stages, did claim it made them feel as weak as a kitten at times.

That said I have known some people who have breezed through it wondering what all the fuss was about! I do so hope you are this group.

Just a thought - has the hospital got a welfare department? Perhaps they can help - even an advert on the notice board in the staff/nursing canteen!

I hope all goes well and keep chatting if any of us can help.

Regards,
Greg L-W.

17 years 4 months ago #2115 by mikmckna
Replied by mikmckna on topic Other patients in Western WA
Nancy,
If you don't find any local support, you have plenty forum wide. If you share a bit about your diagnosis (Stage, Grade) and treatment, I'm certain you'll find others that can share via email.

Believe in yourself,
Mike
T1-G3, CIS
RC w/ Neobladder 8/22/06

17 years 4 months ago #2101 by Nancy
Other patients in Western WA was created by Nancy
I just moved to Grays Harbor County - Hoquiam, a small some-what 'backwards' town.  I am looking for other patients who might be in the general area and who are interested in communicating and respect confidentiality.

My treatments have just started @ Virginia Mason, Seattle.  Am driving back & forth alone.  Chemo will be for 3 months (so far), then full removal of bladder and repro organs.

Please feel free to email me.  I sure could use some support and info from those in the Western WA area.

Thank you so much.

Nancy

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne