BCG burned bladder

15 years 8 months ago #20406 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic BCG burned bladder
There is a free service available to cancer patients...the Corporate Angel Network........they fly you to recognized treatment centers around the country on Corporate jets with free available seats... Patients may call toll free 1 866 328 1313
contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.CorpAngelNetwork.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20405 by eddiek
Replied by eddiek on topic BCG burned bladder
Les,

> Get a second opinion - I don't believe that anyone would disagree here. Even the most highly skilled physician should respect your families' desire to obtain a second or third opinion before considering such a major surgery. When my wife was exploring her options prior to R/C we visited three well know and highly respected surgeons/hospitals.

> Consider major centers of excellence - while this is generally true for most things, there are other aspects to consider. Not every patient and family have the resources to travel to a major center for treatment. When my wife had her R/C in May, 2006, we spent 5 weeks away from our home while she recovered. We were fortunate to have the support of family, friends, and employers to allow us to exercise this option.

> What is the candidate surgeon's experience with the type of diversion your father is considering? At one of our surgeon/hospital visits, the doctor offered names of patients with various diversions that we could contact. The type of diversion that your father is considering is very personal and it must be something that he will be satisfied with for a long time.

Your father and family will need to make the desicion that's best for all involved. Hopefully, you'll be able to extract the helpful information from the previous posts and disregard the less useful information.

Please keep us posted on your father's progress and continue to seek advice and answers to questions.

Ed Kinsella

Edward J. Kinsella
American Bladder Cancer Society
Board of Directors - Treasurer/Secretary

& Caregiver

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20399 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic BCG burned bladder
Peter,
Thank you for giving Les the info on the facility in Scottsdale. Since he lives in Arizona thru the winter it gives him an option to consider. We all know how being close to the surgeon and staff in recovery is most important.
Les mentioned that he would like to have it done in Arizona if possible.
Of course we used the Cleveland Clinic its practically in our backyard. Its up to the patient as he can choose himself where to be treated. He has choices. This gives him an option close to home .
We were happy to help Peter with his anxious moments before surgery, and grandpadonut as well.
We haven't gambled with anyone yet, but will be meeting with both hopefully in October, sort of a celebration of life after b/c..mostly hoping for a nice peaceful dinner together, and maybe roll some dice as well.
Ginger

15 years 8 months ago #20385 by PeterK
Replied by PeterK on topic BCG burned bladder
Les,

I had my R/C done by Farshid Sadeghi of Urology Associates, LTD. This group of urologists is considered one of the best in Arizona, if not the best. They are located at 10117 N. 92nd street in Scottsdale, Arizona. Phone: 480-661-2662. Dr. Sadeghi is a very considerate gentleman and has great manners with patients. The first thing he told me was that he was going to take great care of me, which he has done. Absolutely no problems with my R/C, which he did on 11/07. On follow-up visits he always took as much time as needed to answer questions and quiet my fears. Try and get him if you can, you will really like him. Tell him I sent you.

Regards,

Peter Konomos

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #20365 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic BCG burned bladder
Good Grief...get him to a major center where they see lots of bladder cancer like Mayo.....this is his life...not a pimple.
Pat

15 years 8 months ago #20364 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic BCG burned bladder
PS

According to my Urologist, I have Stage II Bladder Cancer (whatever that means). Radical Cystectomy has never been mentioned by him...

Sorry, the dots just don't seem to be connecting here....

Best,
Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne