Vitamins and nutrition

15 years 8 months ago #19635 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic Vitamins and nutrition
Most of the research on supplements seem to indicate that we would do better to get our nutrients directly from food mostly fruits and vegetables, eat a lot of vegetables in the cabbage family, get 25 to 35 grams of fiber which means eat beans, whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal and those fruits and vegetables.

I know some people take green tea extract and curcumin is supposed to have a big benefit.

We take a multiple vitamin for seniors, Vitamin B complex, Omega 3 oil complex and L-glutamine.
The vitamin b is because my husband doesn't metabolize B-12 any more, the Omega 3 oils are to reduce our triglycerides. The L-glutamine was added recently on the Radiation Oncologists recommendation.

I think it makes the most sense to have a well balanced diet and eat fruits and vegetables in all colors.
Julie

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #19556 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Vitamins and nutrition
HUH? 3 multi-vitamins a day.??????? Is he a pharmacist also? Thats way to much...The water soluble vitamins ok ..they will just work your little kidneys away and get rid of them....the others could pose a risk depending on which multi-vitamin you're taking....they've got something for everyone these days.
Excuse me while i bang my head up against the wall...........
Pat

15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #19527 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Vitamins and nutrition
I have personally discontinued taking a multi-vitamin. When I was taking the multi, I made sure that the formula did not contain Iron because there has been some discussion and research in the medical community concerning Iron and Cancer.

I have this vitamin drawer at work and this is what's in it...

Garlic, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Folic Acid, Cod Liver Oil, Cranberry tablets....
oh...and Green Tea tablets.

Without making any claims, I also do a lot of herbal teas. After my Dx, I went to an Asian store, and upon explaining my situation to the clerk, she told me in broken English, "Flush, flush, flush." I bought several teas from her, barley, oolong, and even Kombuku. I buy bulk herbs such as lemon balm and marshmallow root and drink a nice hot cup of herb tea sometimes before going to bed....

All this being said without making any claims. It's just what I do..

Oh, forgot about the broccoli sprouts. I have found them in our local grocery chains along with the alfalfa sprouts...

Ro

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 8 months ago #19521 by DIB
Replied by DIB on topic Vitamins and nutrition
I was dx'd with BC in May 2008. Research led me to Dr. Lamm's web site and reference to Oncovite which I have taken since. My docs, when I asked and gave them formulary, said "it could'nt hurt". It has nothing weird in it; simplya multivitamin formulated by Lamm based on what he has learned about dosages of various vitamins.

I take two per day.

Best price I have found is drugstore.com.

Here is formulary:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Tablet
Servings Per Container:
Amount per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin A 9000 IU 180
Vitamin C 500 mg 833
Vitamin D D3 400 IU 100
Vitamin E 100 IU 333
Thiamin (B1) 0.34 mg 23
Riboflavin (B2) 0.5 mg 29
Niacin (B3) 5 mg 25
Vitamin B6 25 mg 1250
Folate,Folic Acid,Folacin 0.4 mcg 100
Vitamin B12 1.6 mcg 25
Pantothenic acid 2.3 mg 23
Zinc 7.5 mg 50
* Daily Value not established.

David

Male Dx T1G3 5/08 @ Age 59. TURBT 5/08; TURBT+40 mg MMC 6/08; BCG (6) 7/08-8/08; Cysto & TURBT 9/08; BCG Maint(3) 10/08, 3/09; 7/09; 11/09; 5/10; & 1/11. Clean cystos 2/09, 9/09, 3/10, & 10/10.

15 years 8 months ago #19506 by drosenberg
Replied by drosenberg on topic Vitamins and nutrition
You may want to look at Dr Lamm's BCG Oncology site & the info he has on a multi-vitamin formulation called oncovite:

www.bcgoncology.com/treatment/vitamins.html

Don

15 years 8 months ago #19505 by Barbnks
Replied by Barbnks on topic Vitamins and nutrition
When I went to see the Doctor at MD Anderson for a second opinion, he recommended that I take 3 multivitamins a day. I forget to do it most of the time but that's what he said.

Barb

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne