Urinalysis and false positives

15 years 9 months ago #18014 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Urinalysis and false positives
Wierd huh...and its about a $5.00 test!!...My ob/gyn found mine...my internist did not do them!! Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #18010 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic Urinalysis and false positives
What really bugs me is with my insurance is before I got BC if I went for a physical a simple urine test is not covered by my insurance and I think most insurance companies are like this ??? ??? ???. Joe

15 years 9 months ago #17994 by Landon
Replied by Landon on topic Urinalysis and false positives
I know that before I had my first Cysto I had 2 cytology reports come back negative. Of course once the Cysto and TURB were done, they proved otherwise. Superficial Non-invasive Grade 1 Stage 1 Cancer. Glad the cysto was done!

15 years 9 months ago #17929 by Patricia
Urinalysis and false positives was created by Patricia
This written by Dr. Steinberg at the U. of Chicago
Urine cytology

Perform urine cytology at the same time as cystoscopy, although its routine use for screening is controversial.
Urine cytology is associated with a significant false-negative rate, especially for low-grade carcinoma (10-50% accuracy rate).
The false-positive rate is 1-12%, but it has a 95% accuracy rate for diagnosing high-grade carcinoma and CIS.
The sensitivity of urine cytology can be increased by obtaining a bladder barbotage cytology (70%) as opposed to a voided cytology (30%).
With a normal finding on cystoscopic examination, further evaluate a positive cytology result on urine study with an upper-tract study and random biopsies of the bladder. Obtain biopsy samples of the prostatic urethra in men

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne