Waiting for my first cystology

15 years 11 months ago #16254 by wsilberstein
Replied by wsilberstein on topic Waiting for my first cystology
Dear Patty:
From the nature of your posts and the answers I'm certain you're talking about a cystoscopy, but since you're calling it a cystology, the obsessive part of my brain keeps saying, "What if the doctor is only offering to do a cytology?!?" So just in case it's not clear - a cytology alone at this point would not be adequate. My cytology was negative, but the cancer was still there at cystoscopy.

-Warren
TaG3 + CIS 12/2000. TURB + Mitomycin C (No BCG)
Urethral stricture, urethroplasty 10/2009
CIS 11/2010 treated with BCG. CIS 5/2012 treated with BCG/interferon
T1G3 1/2013. Radical Cystectomy 3/5/2013, No invasive cancer. CIS in right ureter.
Incontinent. AUS implant 2/2014. AUS explant 5/2014
Pediatrician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #16252 by Barbnks
Replied by Barbnks on topic Waiting for my first cystology
Speaking from someone who had the same symptoms as you with back pain and all I would recommend they do a CT scan of your kidneys. I was Dx with kidney cancer first and had to have it removed last July. Since then it has moved into my bladder and I deal with that every 3 months at my checkup. I would say yes to the cystoscopy but I would tell them you want a CT scan of your kidneys. Blood in the urine is a big sign of that. I was treated for 3 months (different Dr.s because we were traveling) for urinary tract infections and it turned out to be cancer. Please let us know how everything goes. Please have a CT scan of your kidneys though, I had the same pains.
Barb

15 years 11 months ago #16247 by crptclrwomn
Replied by crptclrwomn on topic Waiting for my first cystology
Rosemary, Thank-you. I know that you are a wonderful person and I am ready for Monday. I have learned so much from you all and whatever happens, I am ready. You people are a blessing like a gift from God. Thanks. Patty

15 years 11 months ago #16240 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Waiting for my first cystology
Patty,

What is done will depend on what they see (if anything). I have actually heard of very small tumors being biopsied and zapped at the time of cystoscopy, but this is very rare and I am personally not that comfortable with this rather casual approach.

In my case, the Doc saw the tumors, pulled out the scope and scheduled a TURB pretty quick. It becomes a waiting game for a little while until the pathology comes back a few days after the TURB. That's when you know where you stand. Rule of thumb though, is that anything that is seen growing in the bladder is considered to be cancer, though is often of low malignant potential.

We are here to talk to, and we've been there. It's a scary time, I know.

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 11 months ago #16239 by crptclrwomn
Replied by crptclrwomn on topic Waiting for my first cystology
I hope you get computer access too because we (I) need your input and want to hear more about you. Hope the conference is good though.
Thanks Patty

15 years 11 months ago #16238 by tate
Replied by tate on topic Waiting for my first cystology
For me- they did the Cysto in the office and that is where she told me she saw the cancer. As soon as she was done she told me she would need to take it out with outpatient surgery and mitomycin. I got in the next week (4/17/08) and then had to wait for the pathology another week (to help determine treatment I guess). For me it was easier that she told me she saw cancer...the hard part was listening to my friends who didn't believe it and wanted to know how she knew w/out a biopsy. I felt that I could go ahead and get my gameplan by knowing it was cancer instead of the wondering and waiting. The waiting was bad enough and really stinks. Now I know and feel like I have some control because I know what I am dealing with and can keep an eye on it even with the high reoccurance rate of my type. Of course, that will prob. change if/when I ever have a reoccurance and will have to wait.

the biopsy showed it was cancer Ta ( the lowest form) & because of the size I do have to start BCG treatments in a couple of weeks. I am kinda nervous about that since it will be my first time. So I am sure I will be looking for support then. I will be at a conference this week and not taking my laptop. I hope I can get computer acccess. Because i will miss this group.

I am so glad you decided to write!!! This site and the people have been WONDERFUL( They don't even fuss when I ramble LOL- with my "new experiences" instead of letting the experts answer) and we are not going anywhere...SO please do keep us updated.
Tate

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne