Dr Stein passed away?

16 years 3 days ago #15670 by wendy
Replied by wendy on topic Dr Stein passed away?
Biomarkers...From the start of Webcafe in '98 I've been following this stuff, waiting for it to be incorporated into practice, more on biomarkers, from WebCafe, John Stein gave me permission to use his quote:
An article from Journal of the National Cancer Institute, July 15, 1998, discusses a multi-centre, randomised clinical trial using p53-status of tumour cells and other molecular markers like p21 to guide treatment decisions in bladder cancer patients, one of the first of it’s kind.

The research team from USC/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center conducted a study on 242 patients with locally confined bladder tumors who were followed for an average of 8.5 years. Analysis was done of of the p21 protein and it’s interaction with the p53 protein. Results of the study indicated that patients with p21-positive tumours survived disease-free significantly longer than those patients with p21-negative tumours. Furthermore, it was shown that the way the p21 and p53 proteins interact with each other can give a very good indication of which patients must be considered at high risk for recurrence.

The article stated that p53 is known to be a primary regulator of p21, since genetic changes in p53 may lead to loss of p21 expression and function. This in turn leads to unregulated cell growth, and is thought to contribute to the aggressive behaviour of some tumours. "We reasoned that if p21 is [positively] expressed despite alterations in p53, then cell cycle control might be maintained and the tumours would be less likely to progress," said Dr. Richard Cote, M.D., Ass. Prof. of Pathology and Urology, and researcher at Norris. "Our hypothesis seems confirmed by this study.”

Patients with p53- altered/p21-negative tumors demonstrated a higher rate of recurrence and worse survival compared with those with p53-altered/p21-positive tumors. Patients with p53-altered/p21-positive tumors demonstrated a similar rate of recurrence and survival as those with p53-wild type tumors.13

John Stein, M. D., Assistant Professor of Urology, an expert on surgical approaches to bladder cancer and a colleague of Cote’s at USC stated; "Molecular markers will allow us to manage patients with a clearer idea of the benefits of treatment in that individual. This represents a greatadvantage to physicians and patients.”
July 15, 1998 Journal of the National Cancer Institute
blcwebcafe.org/content/view/150/161/lang,english/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 3 days ago #15662 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Dr Stein passed away?
Zach,

Dr. Stein's death is such a shock! He must have been a wonderful man.

Both of the obituaries that I have read for him on line have mentioned some research that he had conducted for bladder cancer...

"Stein's work has included research that identified a molecular marker that predicts which bladder cancer patients would likely face remission and which would have relapses. "

I wonder why we don't hear more about this research???

Best regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 3 days ago #15648 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Dr Stein passed away?
Dr. Stein's obit.

He was a great doctor, as his obituary tell us, but he was an even better man.

He made the world a better place, and I don't think his passing will do anything to diminish this.

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

16 years 5 days ago #15552 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic Dr Stein passed away?
Thanks Zach....now if we only had more doctors like Stein! Yes, please tell us what happened to him. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 1 week ago #15448 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Dr Stein passed away?
This is so sad. He must have been a very good man. We have lost a good one.

Zach, have you heard any more on what happened???

Regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 1 week ago #15431 by Zachary
Replied by Zachary on topic Dr Stein passed away?
He died this morning.

He was a great doctor, a friend, and he saved my life.

I'm saddened beyond belief. He was just 45 years old.

Here's a short article about him:
www.the-tidings.com/2007/071307/stein.htm

"Standing on my Head"---my chemo journal
T3a Grade 4 N+M0
RC at USC/Norris June 23, 2006 by Dr. John Stein

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne