Mom's getting her diagnosis tonight-help!

15 years 11 months ago #15288 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Mom's getting her diagnosis tonight-help!
OK here's where i am getting lost .."She now has no more urinary tract, instead her bladder has been attached to, I guess the kidney? and the other end of the tumor was attached to her intestines again. It was only that one, no metastases anywhere whcih I was told they can see if they are over 5 mm. (ca 1/3 of an inch)"
Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #15285 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic Mom's getting her diagnosis tonight-help!
HI, again, grining cat -- One more question, what's a "cancer face?"
Quote: "She had a 'cancer face.'" -- Susan

15 years 11 months ago #15278 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic Mom's getting her diagnosis tonight-help!
Dear Cat,

Can you explain what the diagonosis was determined to be? She has already had the surgery on her bladder? The tumor was outside of her bladder? What kind of "chemo" are you expecting her to have?

Lots of questions, I know, but I'm trying to get the total picture here.

Best of luck and kindest regards,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

15 years 11 months ago #15174 by thegrinningcat
Replied by thegrinningcat on topic Mom's getting her diagnosis tonight-help!
Thank you two for your support, and Patricia also for those encouraging e-mails. Mom is now out of intensive care, and yes it was another tumor. The only one in her body, and they took it out succesfully.

Patricia said it's surprising that for an ovarian cancer patient, she lived so long without relapses...I would highly recommend to you to boost your immune sytems with a pesco-vegan diet high in vitamines and cruciferous Vegetables. This is what I already heard from other survivors, but especially what my former my co-worker researched when she was diagnosed as she wanted to know the causes and why some people survived,and she had access to all these media research systems (if you wanted to read all those cancer-related artices in the New Englad Journal of Medicine, where major studies are pubnlished, for example, a normal person would have to pay for each article)and she had told me all about it. She had managed to shrink her tumor after it had come back whent he chemo was over, by boosting her imune system. She also did mystle therapy, which mom broke off--I just read that they have isolated the compound that does the trick and it is now available in pill form. We wanted to do everythign like that co-worker because she is a survivor, but mom slacked considerably over time, and then that last strenous year.

I don't know about bladder cancer, but with reproductive system cancer dairy is one major problem. There is info about some nutitional aspects here on bcwf which I recommend to you and found very helpful because we will boost her system with additional vitamins and minerals now. The next chemo is really worrysome, in that respect--more toxic substances, and what they say in the info here about countereffectiveness of boosting the system wnd its cells while you are on chemo and actually wwant to destroy the bad cells...and how effective is Chemo anyhow? My co-worker's cancer came right back after she was through with it, but when she radically changed ehr diet, it went down again. I have also heard this approach from someone in England, where Prof. Plants book was a big hit, and she explains the possible reasons very well.

I just really wish doctors wouldn't think mom and the family are all imbecile children who cannot be told the truth--we have to make plans for her care, and we read it all in their faces anyhow, making mom distrust anythign they said to her if it was reassuring.

She now has no more urinary tract, instead her bladder has been attached to, I guess the kidney? and the other end of the tumor was attached to her intestines again. It was only that one, no metastases anywhere whcih I was told they can see if they are over 5 mm. (ca 1/3 of an inch)

We have not done any additional cts since her first illness in 2002 to avoid more radiation and cell degeneration--she had plenty a year ago. This is a big problem--because on the other hand, this is the best way to diagnose tumours, and if she had had oen earlier, they might not have neede to touch the colon. The doctor said it is very well possible that such atumor can have grown within a year--she hadn't gone for the next ultra sound either because the gyno is a female troll. She had a "cancer face" and fatigue, but nothing showed in her blood in her semiannual tests last year, no tumour markers...???

Thank your for listening and sharing!

16 years 2 days ago #14832 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Mom's getting her diagnosis tonight-help!
Avelox has quite a few lawsuits out there...latest from Bayer to Physicians......
www.nelm.nhs.uk/Record%20Viewing/vR.aspx?id=590354

16 years 3 days ago #14805 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic Mom's getting her diagnosis tonight-help!
Greetings, Grinning Cat – Please breathe in (deeply) and breathe out. There.
Now, repeat. I’d also suggest coaxing your face to take on the characteristics
of your screen name – and grin! Remember to take care of yourself gently on
this stress-full day.

I imagine once you have the diagnosis, there are likely to be more tests to
refine the details of the diagnosis. After that, I’m guessing that we can share with you treatments we’ve encountered on our journeys as caregivers and survivors/warriors.

One humble suggestion I’d like to offer. Reconsider thinking about prognosis as
either “death sentence” or not – simple either x or y. Even those of us who have
been diagnosed with metastatic cancer may have good days or even months of
vigorous, joyous wellness, and, despite the fact what we know what were liable to die from, do not daily think of ourselves as Dead Folks Walking. I, for example, have been Blessed with months of wellness in which I have worked full time in a profession I love, been present at a Son’s wedding (and hostess at the rehearsal dinner), etc., etc. Tomorrow I represent one of my universities at a university President’s inauguration – full academic regalia.

Ok, if I hadn’t seen the scans, I’d probably think I had been cured. The scans show otherwise – metastatic lesions and nodules in my liver and lungs.

But life is good right now. Here in Mississippi (USA) spring is blooming with magnificent pinkish-purplish bushes and hedges of Azaleas.

I wish you and your mother the best possible outcome and hope you’ll keep checking in.

In support – Susan (mssmr)

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne