My Dad's Story

16 years 1 month ago #13707 by Heenan
Replied by Heenan on topic My Dad's Story
My dad is a gravel truck driver - so it is mostly driving in a bumpy truck all day long and getting out to unload. However, I am leaning towards the retirement option. The pathology report will definitely help make my decision...I will keep you posted.

"Live a good life...and in the end it is not the years in a life, but the life in the years."
*Abraham Lincoln

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 1 month ago #13698 by mssmr
Replied by mssmr on topic My Dad's Story
Hi Heenan -- I know people who returned to work after surgery and chemo. I also know some who retired as soon as possible. Perahps some of each with "report in."
My own situation is that I need to work until mid-May to retire with health
insurance. I have metastatic disease and am working after both chemo and radiation.
Bladder removal was withheld after the mets were discovered. I feel well though.
I don't know (I may have missed it) what your dad does for work. I'm a college teacher. I just know I am not alone in working; for many, living with cancer includes working. I hope others check in on this, but your dad's case will be uniquely his -- in support -- Susan (mssmr)

16 years 1 month ago #13669 by Heenan
Replied by Heenan on topic My Dad's Story
It is very encouraging to hear from all of you that are walking in my dad's shoes. Thank you for the wealth of information that you are providing to me.

Just as an FYI...my dad is 63 yrs. old. I am in the Omaha area and we have a wonderful medical community here. I am very happy that my dad will be treated in Omaha...now I just need to get my hands on that pathology report.

My dad believes that he will be returning back to work after the chemo...is this realistic or should I be encouraging him to retire now?

"Live a good life...and in the end it is not the years in a life, but the life in the years."
*Abraham Lincoln

16 years 1 month ago #13651 by RAH
Replied by RAH on topic My Dad's Story
Heenan,
I have the same diversion as your dad. Like Ginger mention it may take several tries to find the right type of pouch that will work with your dad's body type.
I had my surgery in late June 2007. I go one full week on the same pouch. Any longer then that and the hair growth under the pouch drives me batty.

I had my Chemotherapy start in Septemeber (3 months after surgery). It took thirteen weeks to complete for the protocal that they gave me.

I didn't think that life would ever get back to something resembling normal for me. But after seven 1/2 months since surgery and two months since Chemo, I have a normal life. I hope the same is true with your dad.

Take Care - Rick a fellow bag man.

16 years 1 month ago #13644 by fearandfight
Replied by fearandfight on topic My Dad's Story
Heenan if your Dad is coming to live with you this might be the best thing that could happen. You could get a second opinion at a university hospital in the city where you live about the nodes which should be your major concern right now. Having 29 out of 39 positive nodes is alot and thats what you want to get checked with a good urologist/oncologist and find out where your dad stands with this situation. You can take his Path Report from where he is now for them to see up where you live, you didn't mention that or I didn't see what city you are from. Yes in the meantime you don't want his bag leaking all over the place but that will come together in time. I wish you the best of luck. Joe ;)

16 years 1 month ago #13641 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic My Dad's Story
Cute picture of you and your dad. I can tell you from experience that it takes time to find the right bag. After surgery the area is ripply and swollen somewhat so its hard to get the bag to not wrinkle. In time it will all even out and you will go ne week without changing it. My husband has had his since Sept. 14th, the stoma nurses were great letting him try 5 or 6 bags to see which one works for him. He had home nurses twice a week to change the bag until he was comfortable with it.
One visit just checking in, the other visit for changing the bag. It looks like dad is in very good hands, a very good daughter watching over him.. I pm'd you earlier when your post was on storyboard!!! TAKE CARE, ANY QUESTIONS GIVE A YELL!!!Ginger

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne