34 year old newby in Seattle

16 years 2 months ago #13024 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic 34 year old newby in Seattle
Pat,

From what I've read from the research that others have done here (I haven't done the research myself) Mitomycin is most effective when given within one hour after the TURB...don't take my word for it though as I haven't verified the comments...

Buds,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13022 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic 34 year old newby in Seattle
Rosemary...many doctors take the catheter out after the TURB especially if the urine is clear......mine did and i never had any blood or any sluff off of any tissue. It would seem prudent to me not to do Mitomycin on the first TURB but wait until pathology determines stage and grade. Pat

16 years 2 months ago #13020 by Melodie
Replied by Melodie on topic 34 year old newby in Seattle
Lynn,

Thanks for the good news. Sounds like you are doing just fine. Now we just need to get more good news in regard to your path report. It sounds like you are lucky to have a doctor who has a good bedside manner aside and also a good surgeon...we should all be so fortunate. Hopefully you won't have any additional problems but if you do, you know this site is the place to share your concerns. And feel free to keep my number on file should you ever need it. Take care. Melodie

Melodie, Indy Pouch, U.W.Medical Center, Seattle, Dr. Paul H. Lange & Jonathan L. Wright

16 years 2 months ago #12992 by Rosemary
Lynn,

My guess is that Mitomycin depends upon the preference of the Urologist performing the TURB. There is no way to know the stage and grade until the biopsy is back.

I wonder if that is why you DIDN'T have a catheter???

I don't mean to scare you, but, my first pathology was Ta G1, which was making everybody happy. 6 weeks later when the Uro did a re-TURB (to check for residual tumor) I was upgraded to T1 G3. That was a big bump up and kind of freaked my doctor....

As scary as that was, it's been two years and no recurrance. I've had 2 Mitomycin and 12 BCG's.

Everybody's case is different. I know a guy in town that had bladder cancer 12 years ago. The Doc said it was the largest tumor that he had ever seen. He's never had recurrance. The Doctor told him that he wouldn't have given a nickle for his chance of non-recurrance.

I know you will be glad to get that Pathology back....

Take care,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

16 years 2 months ago #12991 by ale53
Replied by ale53 on topic 34 year old newby in Seattle
Hi Rosemary-

I'm pretty sure I was not given Mitomycin. It was not discussed before surgery and not mentioned after either. Plus my nurses were not dressed in plastic biohazard gear when I woke up. ;D

I've seen that others have had this after TURB. Is that standard? Does it depend on stage/grade of your tumor?

Thanks,
Lynn

16 years 2 months ago #12979 by Rosemary
Lynn,

So glad to hear the TURB is now behind you. I like the picture that you paint of your Doctor. He sounds like my first Uro, very concerned and thoughtful.

My tumor was at close to the orifice also. We seem to hear that a lot in women (am I imagining that?). It's been 2 years for me and no recurrance.

Do you know if he gave you a dose of Mitomycin? You didn't mention it.

Your new friend,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne