Second Opinion Misconceptions for the Newly Diagnosed and Others

16 years 5 months ago #10481 by momof4
Thanks for the possitive feedback.

Another point to mention, is that sometimes the patient doesn't have to be present for a second opinion, (although most Dr.s would like to see you). The reports/pathology/slides etc... can be just be sent to another facility, or Dr. for analysis.

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 5 months ago #10479 by Rosemary
Karen,

"Understaging and Overstaging are BOTH problems, without a second opinion how will you ever know?"

This statement is very true and you've made some very good points.

My dx jumped from Ta G1 to T1 G3 in a matter of 6 weeks. Even then, when I read the pathology report (the local pathologist wasn't sure himself and sent it to UNC Chapel Hill for a 2nd opinion), it sounds like the local was thinking it could have been one thing or the other, but UNC decided to go with the OTHER. (T1 G3)
Better safe than sorry....

Thanks for the post.

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

16 years 5 months ago #10477 by momof4
For the Newly Diagnosed and Others

I think that the idea of a second opinion scares some people. They are under the misconception that every test that the First Dr. did to come to the conclusion and their diagnosis, will have to be repeated when they go to the Second Dr.

****(Not that it never happens, sometimes if the Second Dr. feels that something was done wrong the first time they will retest.)*****

But, for the most part, you are going to just bring your Pathology Reports, test results, and all of your records. You will have a consultation with the Second Dr. in his office NOT IN THE EXAM ROOM. If he wants to exam anything, this will be done after your conversation with him, and only if he feels it is beneficial. You will just be sitting there discussing the previous results and asking what his thoughts are, his recommendations, and basically interviewing him to see if you feel he is a better choice than the first.

You are under NO obligation to get undressed, agree to an examination, or any other evasive test. These choices are yours.

1. Ask how many cases similar to yours he has seen

2. What is HIS protocol in these situations

3. What does he recommend, IE BCG, Chemo, Radiation, Surgery, etc....

4. What is his skill level, and what hospital is he associated with.

5. If he is part of a team, can you meet the others.

there are many more questions that will be unique & specific to your situation.

You will do this whether you are "Interviewing" a Urologist, Surgeon, Oncologist, or a combination of any of the 3.

Second opinions are helpful in that you will see another's prospective on your situation.

"I have heard that 2 people can witness a crime happening, and will give 2 different descriptions of the perpetrator".

In medicine a lot of what is seen is interpretation, as well as undesputed fact.

It is not something to fear. You have already experienced that. It is worth your time, it only takes about an hour to do, and the benefits surely are worth it. There are no risks in second opinions. Just confirmation, or new information, or in some cases you meet a Dr. that just doesn't fit your bill.

Regardless, I would suggest it as part of what is necessary, not really an option. Granted this is just my opinion. But as I stated in another post:

I would rather be scared to death and find out it was nothing, than the alternative.

Understaging and Overstaging are BOTH problems, without a second opinion how will you ever know?

Karen

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne