newly diagnosed

17 years 8 months ago #1030 by Rosemary
Replied by Rosemary on topic newly diagnosed
Hello,

From what I understand, once there is invasion of the muscular propria, you are beyond the scope of a conservative approach. My 2nd opinion Doc said, "if it's in the muscle, it's gotta go." Many, many people do very well after cystectomies. I hope that you get some response here from those who have been there....

Good, good luck,
Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 8 months ago #1029 by ed_b
newly diagnosed was created by ed_b
First, thanks to all for providing this service. I'm a 56 yr. old male, former pipe smoker, (quitting today). Early June, blood in urine. Doctor referred me to urologist. who did a CT scan, saw a tumor , and did a transurethral resection in mid-July. He told me I had a muscle invasive, high grade (g3), t2/t3 cancer, and suggests a cystectomy. Pathology report states "Invasive papillary urothelial (transitional cell) carcinoma, high grade, with Focal Signet ring features. Vascular space invasion present. Tumor with extension/direct invasion to submucosa and muscularis propria" Dr. gave me options of neobladder or external pouch, but didn't mention a continence pouch. The people who answer the newbees posts seem so knowlegeable, I wonder if anyone out there sees an alternative to radical surgery. I'm seeing an oncologist next week for a secong opinion. Am I wasting time? From all the research I've done in the last few weeks, it seems to me as though bladder removal is the only alternative. Thanks for taking the time to read this post, please offer suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne