Dad has COPD in addition to BC-foregoing treatment

4 years 9 months ago #57835 by sara.anne
Again, to be perfectly honest, I don't think it would help and it would be uncomfortable. The usual BCG schedule is one a week for six weeks, then a healing period. If a cystoscopy shows still no cancer BCG maintenance starts which is usually once a week for three weeks and this is done every two or three months for about 2 years. The patient has about a day of "discomfort" (urinary burning, urgency, some bleeding). The point of BCG is to "kick-up" the immune system particularly in the bladder lining to fight off the cancer and as the treatments go on and the immune system reacts the side effects increase and include more of what I described plus fatigue. BCG is a long-term process and would not help your father's current pain issue while causing more discomfort.

So sorry you are going through this. We do it with our parents and our children will be there for us.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 9 months ago #57834 by Grace777
Thank you so much for the response. My dad was put on hospice just after he returned from the hospital for his bladder surgery. We didn’t get the results of his tumor for another week into hospice. The doctor came in and immediately jumped in to the results and treatments and when he took a breath, I was able to jump in and tell him that he was on hospice. His tone changed and did say dad would have a very hard time with BCG but it was an individual choice. I’m wondering if he doesn’t do the BCG if he is worse off. He is on heightened care right now. I am probably working around an inevitable question or concern.

4 years 9 months ago #57833 by sara.anne
I am very sorry to read about your father’s problems . He is very fortunate to have you looking after him and you are also fortunate to be able to provide this for him. I will give you my honest opinion but remember that we are not doctors here and this is something that you need to also discuss with his doctors.

Since your father is in hospice care for his COPD condition that must mean that his medical care team is of the opinion that he has a life expectancy of about six months. I doubt that BCG would be helpful in such a situation and I’m somewhat surprised that the doctors have suggested this . While the side effects of BCG are nowhere near what can be expected with something like chemotherapy they do exist and I would wonder if there would be any point to this treatment now.

If your father is in pain following the bladder cancer surgery hospice should be able and willing to provide medication which would make him more comfortable . Most hospices are wonderful organizations and personally I don’t know what we would’ve done without them for both my mother and my father . Hospice made their final days a precious experience for both my parents and our family members .

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 9 months ago #57832 by Grace777
Hello. My dad was diagnosed 7 years ago today with COPD, a year ago, his FEV was at 19% but he refuses to do it again for an updated FEV. Recently he had a tumor removed from his bladder that came back as TA high grade bladder cancer. He is on hospice for the COPD and has elected to forego the BCG treatment. Anyone had this similar situation and know what the risks are of foregoing the BCG? He seems to be in pain where the tumor was removed, it was the size of a tennis ball.

Thanks~

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne