Getting Ileal Conduit

5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #55903 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Getting Ileal Conduit
Rosemaryolsn,

Welcome! I just wanted to respond as I haven't seen any one else acknowledge your questions. I have not had to have a diversion so I trust some others will. I know it is a hard surgery, there is no way of sugar coating it and recuperation is several months. I am linking the 3 different types of diversions (copy and paste as for some reason it doesn't hyperlink) : my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion. It is a starting reference although your post indicates an illeal conduit is likely. It is the simplest one to do. Almost everyone I have read they are happy and adapted to whatever version they chose. I have a friend that has an Indiana pouch and his was done at age 82, a year ago and doing well.

The important item is getting a good surgeon. One that does at least 30+ and up a year. That means a major cancer center like MD Anderson, Sloan Kettering, Stanford etc if you are able to travel.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 6 months ago #55899 by rosemaryolsn
Getting Ileal Conduit was created by rosemaryolsn
My husband is 73 and having the diversion. What should I expect. Did you have problems after.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne