Urniary diversion

5 years 5 months ago #55932 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Urniary diversion
Rosemary,

Yes I had my bladder out my radiation was to the bladder itself so your husbands situation is of course different than mine. I am sure you have a very experienced surgeon that makes all the difference. Since I had had radiation I flew to Chicago and had Dr. Gary Steinberg do my surgery as he is well known for urinary reconstruction after radiation therapy.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #55928 by rosemaryolsn
Replied by rosemaryolsn on topic Urniary diversion
Cynthia did you have your bladder removed?. The urologist is afraid to take his bladder because of all the scaring. He thinks it might be fused to the bowel which would cause more problems.

5 years 5 months ago #55925 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Urniary diversion
I am sorry you and your husband are going through this. Having a diversion done is a big surgery but most deal with it and are back up and going with in a few months. I had my diversion done after a great deal of pelvic radiation and that was over ten years ago. It can make the surgery complicated but is doable. We are here for you please ask questions and we will do the best we can to help you if we can.

Please keep us updated.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

5 years 5 months ago #55898 by rosemaryolsn
Urniary diversion was created by rosemaryolsn
My husband is having a urniary diversion. He had prostate cancer and it was aggressive. His prostate was removed but they recommended radiation to the prostate bed. The radiation hit his bladder and now after 5 years of hospial visits and manu infections we are left with a urniary diversion. Right now he is in the hospital with another infection. He has a time going into his kidney coming out his back draining into a bag. after that comes out he will have the diversion. The bladder is no good for anything but the doctor thinks it will be too dangerous to take the bladder out. He thinks it may be fused to other things. I am terrified. How bad is this operation, can someone help me please.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne