Husband with bladder cancer

6 years 4 weeks ago #54934 by lavaun
Replied by lavaun on topic Husband with bladder cancer
Thank you that’s helpful. They say he’ll come home in 4-5 days then go back to have the catheter removed 10 days later. No visiting nurse but I’ll care for him. I’ll check out that site you suggested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 1 month ago #54933 by pete172
Replied by pete172 on topic Husband with bladder cancer
Hi, the surgery really wasn't that bad. They had me out of bed the next day and walking that afternoon. After six days they sent me home and a visiting nurse was setup to come by three times a week. The following week I went to the doctors office and a drain was removed, the following week another tub was removed and the catheter. While the catheter is in he may want your help to drain it. They will explain everything before you leave the hospital. You will be back and forth a few times to remove the tubs and staples. recovery can be a challenge but it is worth the work, keep him moving. Check into the {living with a neobladder} forum, on this site. Be patient, it does take time.

6 years 1 month ago #54932 by lavaun
Husband with bladder cancer was created by lavaun
My husband has completed Chemo and they will remove his bladder on 3/27/18 by robot at Kaiser Sunset in Los Angeles. He'll come home with a neobladder and catheter for 11 days. I've cared for many people over the years but never with cancer and never with such a radical change. Anything you can offer to help me help him and to learn what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of support groups for just this type of cancer in the Inland Empire area of California or of phone support groups where he can talk to other men who have or are going through this I would thank you for the information.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne