Stage III bladder cancer newbie caregiver

7 years 1 month ago #52925 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Stage III bladder cancer newbie caregiver
e3run,

You and your husband have had a lot thrown at you in a very short time. This site became important to me 18 months ago when I was finally diagnosed - my wife and I had lots of questions and found little in the way of answers. We were lost for the first months.

The following 50 page publication, "Sexuality for men with cancer", from the website of the American Cancer Society helped explain the range of possibilities. It may be of help to both of you as it was for us.

www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/physical-side-effects/fertility-and-sexual-side-effects/sexuality-for-men-with-cancer.html

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021
The following user(s) said Thank You: e3run

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #52924 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Stage III bladder cancer newbie caregiver
Hi, Survivor here and female but I do have a few words of encouragement. I was 48 also when diognoised with invasive bladder cancer. My husband and I were also each other's second chance. That was in 2004 and the road was not easy but here we are still going strong. I lost my hair twice dealt with depression and recovery and a hundred others things. I couldn't have done it without my husband though it all we have been partners. How did we do it? Imperfectly...with great love. One day at a time, just keep telling yourselves that each day of chemo every day of recovery is one day closer to the hope of wellness.
Much has been written about intimatcy in this form following Radical Cystectomy. I always think of one man who posted every time the subject comes up. He wrote about the fact that because they had to work through this situation that they have had to slow down and pay attention in a way they never had before. And because of that they had discovered a new deeper intimatcy than they had ever known before. I could only hope that for you and all of us going through this lucky enough to have a partner.
You are in the early days of all of this but for most of us after the panic subsides it is all about mind set. Every procedure is a step towards the prize, worry has never ever changed anything. It will take a while but one day you will be sitting at your computer writing something such as this to the new guy or gal on this forum and what you are going through right now will feel very long ago I hope.
If you are having trouble with side effects call the doctor they always have someone on call to help out that is what they are there for. They would rather know there is a problem before it get to be a bigger one. Most of us go through changes to our chemo meds and have taken something for depression. I started therapy during chemo and it helped having someone to talk to that I didn't have to worry about upsetting. Many of us have been through the nausea and can give you tips. Never ever let your stomach get empty, saltines are your friend. Start the anti nausea meds before you need them and things such as this may help.
We welcome you as part of our community, please let us know if we can help we are here for you two.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

7 years 1 month ago #52922 by e3run
Hi all.. My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer in late January. He is 48, and it is muscle invasive. they already took the tumor out (can't remember the procedure name) on January 24th. The plan was to start chemo and go for a few rounds then take bladder AND prostate out, as that is the best course of action to help prevent a reoccurrence. We are having a tough time coming to accept this course of action. Particularly with the prostate. The bladder, I see, is a necessity. As a standard of care, all his physicians, have all echoed that prostate is an organ that needs to come out, as his cancer was muscle invasive. There was no metastasis thank God..but we did go for a 2nd opinion for surgical reasons only, with another surgical urologist. He came highly recommended. The previous one was sort of cold.
Needless to say, he agreed with all the other doctors, but his method for removal is laparoscopic, and he said that due to my husband's age, he/we go the new bladder route. we were really glad he did.He also mentioned that if he could, he would go the nerve sparing route with prostate.

He just finished round 2 of chemo
Methotrexate
Doxorubicin
Vinblastine
Cisplatin

The first round was fairly tolerated, and he was tired A LOT, and along with that, some mild nausea. Headaches were severe.
After this 2nd round, (we are about 18 days into chemo), it seemed that he was tolerating it better, but on the 5th day, bam! He was down for the count. The worst of it was yesterday, when he was scheduled to work, but could barely make it out of bed. Anxiety, fear and all those emotions were present. I was working to help reduce his discomfort, but I am finding I am severely limited. I am giving him time, and letting him listen to his body. His hair, also is starting to come out, which as if all of these things weren't bad enough, the cold finality of this sign is depressing to him, and even me. Nausea is a little worse too, but it seems that he is doing better, even if marginally.

Another reason I am writing is because we are young, and haven't been married 2 years yet. The thought of losing him FAR OUTWEIGHS the trauma and devastation of us not being intimate, but I want and hE REALLY wants to retain our intimacy. It might be different, but Icannot imagine our lives any other way. We have had a second chance and it is with each other. I am wondering if anyone else is struggling in this manner, being a caregiver, with guilt and helpless and hopelessness as well. I love, adore, and admire this man so much. I am struggling with not being able to do anything to make it go away and he is miserable.
It seems he's not the same person, and I totally GET that.
I feel I need help, or someone that can shed some hope in this situation, or if any of you have husbands going through this, or have. If you were successful and HOW you made it through and if you have any sort of intimacy. Sorry for this being so long. I just need to reach out. Thank you

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne