BCG hygiene and small child

9 years 3 weeks ago #48556 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG hygiene and small child
Over analyzing? I don't think so...you are just being a loving, concerned caregiver to both your father and your child! You are doing everything you should do,.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 weeks ago #48555 by tanya1003
Replied by tanya1003 on topic BCG hygiene and small child
Thank You so much Sara for your answers. My little boy was not allowed into the bathroom for 24hrs of the treatment. However, early the next he used the same toliet as my father was using. Now both bathrooms are being used by all three of us. Is my little one still safe?

This is all new to us and its making me so worry if I have done enough cleaning. I bleached after each void for 24hrs. Worry if my 86yr is washing his hands correctly/ ling after each void. If he's drinking enough fluids. I definitely do not want him to have any infections. I'm I over analyzing this??

Tanya

9 years 3 weeks ago #48554 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG hygiene and small child
First, your little one should be fine...ASSUMING that you do not allow it into the bathroom which your husband is using and that both you and your husband are scrupulous about hand washing.

It is not unusual that your husband is not feeling any side effects from the first treatment. It is, however, common for the side effects to increase with additional treatments. The purpose of the BCG is for it to kick up the immune system and it takes a while for this to happen.

Drinking fluids is a good idea, but he will be OK anyway. If he is fond of some particular drink, just be sure you have it on hand and offer it to him!

Sara Abbe

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #48548 by tanya1003
BCG hygiene and small child was created by tanya1003
[[/b]My 86 year old father was diagnosed with bladder cancer. He started his first BCG treatment yesterday. I'm the sole care giver and have a few questions. I bleached after every urinate for 6hrs. I was wondering if he still have the live bacteria after this 6th hour. I'm concerned cuz haven't drink much fluids since his treatment. He has shown no side effects either. My second question is that I have a 2yrs old in the house with us. He has nowhere to go during these treatments my dad will be getting. How safe is he?? Any input is greatly appreciated. Gettimg really concern for my child. Any insights please!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne