New with questions

11 years 6 months ago #43108 by motomike
Replied by motomike on topic New with questions
Good Idea. Just let him know that there are lots of folks here who have experienced this surgery and understand his pain. As time goes by it becomes easier to understand the healing process and the medical appliances needed.

We are here to make it easier. No question is to difficult. We want to make his recovery as easy as possible

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #43088 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic New with questions
Good question! Be there when he wakes up each time. My wife was and was the most comforting thing imaginable. Make him walk. He will not want to but he must. At least three times a day te first day. Even if it is just walking in place next to the bed. Do not break ANY rules with regard to him having any liquids or food! Some people consider that a favor but it is very dangerous. Make him walk some more. Walking wakes the intestines, which kind of go into shock due to surgery and anesthesia. The sooner his intestines kick in the sooner he feels better and goes home.

Give him gum to chew but not swallow. It also sends signals to the intestines to say to wake up.

Books are no good because the pain meds make reading not possible. Be sure he keeps the pain manageable but not completely gone. If he constantly rides that morphine button it prevents the intestines from waking up so it is balance.

That's my advice but I'm sure someone will come up with teddy bear or something else. What meant more to me than anything was that my wife was there every day. I didn't want her to stay the nights so she went to a local hotel but she was there every day.

Tell him good luck from us and ask him to stop by if he has any questions for those who have had the surgery and are here to share our experiences.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

11 years 6 months ago #43087 by Hulahoopchic
New with questions was created by Hulahoopchic
I am very new to bladder cancer and the surgeries surrounding it. My fiancé is having his bladder removed. What is something I can give him during recovery that you or someone you know wished they had had? Open to your ideas!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne