Another Life impacted by cancer

12 years 2 months ago #41097 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Another Life impacted by cancer
John
Thanks a bunch. We'll see where this goes.
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #41094 by john14108
Replied by john14108 on topic Another Life impacted by cancer
George, I just checked and the link I posted takes you to the Dr search page. The Doctor's name is Gene Barnett.

I hope this helps.

John

12 years 2 months ago #41093 by john14108
George, Steve has been under the care of Dr. Barnett at the Cleveland clinic since the onset of his cancer. We consider him our hero. I'm posting a link for him, I hope it works for you.

my.clevelandclinic.org/staff_directory/physician_name_search.aspx

Tell your friend that we'll pray for her and we wish her the best.

John

12 years 2 months ago #41092 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic Another Life impacted by cancer
George, as I've said, I been doing this cancer thing for 20 plus years and been in your shoes many times. You can't expect yourself to have all the answers, no one does. As much as we want to help and as much as we want to save someone, all we can really do is offer our support and comfort. It can be an awkward position sometimes, but as long as you are a friend and you are sincere you will do great. Your cancer resembles her more then you think. You are both fighting for your lives. She is going to be scared the same as you were. She is facing the unknown the same as you did. Make sure that when you go to visit that you take your sense of humor along.
Duke

12 years 2 months ago #41089 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Another Life impacted by cancer
Thank you all for your responses. I have a 100 different emotions and reactions to this news. But first I have to ask john if the surgery on your son in law was done at the Clevland clinic or did he go elsewhere? And is Cleveland Clinic doing the followup all these years? This Gives me hope..... Betsy is a Fighter.

The whirlwind emotion that keeps swirling in my head is ..... I had cancer, so they are kind of looking to me for some answers. I don't know anything about this cancer except the survival rates are quite low. They are also looking at my recovery as a guidepost. But I didn't need Chemo or radiation and Betsy surely will. She will also need surgery and possible multiple surgeries. As I once said before on this site, there have been times when I have been at a friends funeral and been asked; "How come my brother(sister, wife....) died and you lived?"

It will be easy to "be there" for them, but can I "be there" when they find out I had a cancer that bears no resemblence to their cancer?

Just rambling and thinking. Hate this cancer thing!
George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

12 years 2 months ago #41073 by john14108
George, I'm sorry for your friend, but as a ray of hope I'd like to offer the following. My son in law was diagnosed with a Glioblastomy in 2002 at the Cleveland clinic. At that time the gave my daughter the news that he had maybe 3-5 years left. They have gone in and removed the tumor 3 times so far and he has undergone chemo each time. He goes back for an MRI every 3 months and so far is doing good. They have made advances in this area just as they have in the bladder cancer area. Tell your friends that a "I'm gonna beat it" attitude is very important. God Bless

John

PS I go in for my neobladder the 27th and even tho I'm 71 I know for a fact that I'll be fine.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne