short story

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #39557 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic short story
I to take antidepressants. I have many other health issues other than BC. The antidepressants keep me from choking the crap out of someone that really needs it. I dont have any side affects, thank goodness. And I also see a counselor to help me. It really is good to be able to talk to someone. :blink: :S :)
were do I get thisn 5HTP? I would like to try it.

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #39554 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic short story
I am also a fan of 5HTP. I take a night time supplement to help with sleep due to years of fibromyalgia related insomnia. Through the years, doctors have tried to get me to take antidepressants (first line of fibro treatment) and I would try them for a few days to a couple of weeks but never found any satisfactory results. I am very sensitive to any medications, so any dose of SSRI's zone me out to zombie land. That is not a good tradeoff for me since I have never felt that I met the criteria for depression.

On the other hand, I have several friends who have found great relief with antidepressants. I know they work wonders for many, but they are just not for me.

I am glad you've found something to make you feel better! Another factor I discovered from my new and wonderful primary doctor about a year ago is getting my Vit D levels up to over 60. After about a week of taking 4000 iu's daily, I was actually sleeping for a few hours at a time instead of being on my 30 minutes sleep-3 hours awake cycle. Seriously live changing!

And, I now see a counselor about once a month to help deal with my "C" concerns and worries, plus life issues in dealing with constant fibro fatigue. It has helped having an objective outlet for my anxieties. Self-care is definitely an ongoing process...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 6 months ago #39553 by quinlanm
Replied by quinlanm on topic short story
I thought I'd be more specific. I've never taken any antidepressants. Never had to battle with depression. I guess I've been very fortunate. Since the big "C", however, I have discovered many things difficult. Prayer, hobbies, exercise, caring for self and even getting out of bed at times. I decided to go for the big pill after reading a post made by another wife, mother who was drowning in stress. I've been taking the 5HTP for several days now. It's a natural mood booster that affects seratonin. I have not had any side effects. It's fast acting for me, within an hour.I feel more relaxed, calmer, happier and more energetic. I showed it to the oncology pharmacist and he said that my husband could take it, too.
Anyway, this is for you who love exercise, praying, natural stuff and living. I hope it helps someoneelse. B)
loving life

12 years 6 months ago #39529 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic short story
If there will every be a time you need them I would think this is it. Your job is to get through as best you can will taking care of not only your family but yourself. We may not know all the answers here but know that we are here for you and that you are in our hearts.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

12 years 6 months ago #39527 by quinlanm
short story was created by quinlanm
Antidepressants.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne