Some advice needed

12 years 8 months ago #38923 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Some advice needed
Diane....here's the UK version
medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Colace
pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #38918 by Flamenco.
Replied by Flamenco. on topic Some advice needed
Thanks for that , Pat. It confirms what I thought , that when they began to prescribe the morphine they should have simultaneously considered that constipation might be likely to affect my dad. He is 89, and whilst his diet is good,as regards fibre intake and plenty of fluids he cannot move about very much, I will look up the 2 products mentioned in the article and see if there is something equivalent available in the UK. I had just wondered if anyone else had come across the same problem, and what they had used to help.I am going to the UK again on Monday, so hopefully will get chance to tackle his doctor on what is suitable.
Diane

12 years 8 months ago #38916 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic Some advice needed
diane.....maybe this will be helpful
pain.emedtv.com/morphine/morphine-and-constipation.html
pat

12 years 8 months ago #38909 by Flamenco.
Some advice needed was created by Flamenco.
Wasn·t sure where to post this but hope someone can help- My dad is in the Uk and after having prostate cancer 15 years ago , it has now spread to the bones. He is at home and until last week was still able to get out of bed and to the bathroom. Following a UTI, he has weakened considerably, and spent a couple of days in bed, not eating a lot, but taking fluids. He is on slow release morphine tablets for the bone pain, and a liquid morphine medication to take when he has pain breakthrough - yesterday the social team brought a commode, but it seems he was constipated, so the GP gave him a laxative which had a drastic and for him embarassing effect.He had a spell in hospital earlier this year , and before his release I asked, as he was on morphine if there was anything he should take to counter the constipating effects of the meds,( I remember being given a product called Celevac many years ago in hospital), but they didn.t prescribe anything .So please any suggestions from caregivers on this one- is there something he can take- probably on a regular basis to help regularize things, but not so drastically as the laxative his GP gave him. I know this has depressed him and embarassed him tremendously .Thanks in advance for any suggestions .
Diane

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne