what to expect?

12 years 10 months ago #37938 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic what to expect?
My wife would have won caregiver of the year many times if there was an award. She has always stayed at hospital 24/7. I would say if you can be there, do it. Help changing dressings, etc. at home is a great help. Help getting up and down is big. She also got me one of those foam wedges to sleep on. It was a big help getting up and down. Acquiring as much knowledge from this site and others about the surgery and recovery is the best thing you can do to prepare. You and your husband can use this site like a road map to get through this thing. There are threads on this site that run from long before surgery, to full recovery. They can give both of you a great deal of info and comfort.
Wishing you the best.
Duke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #37931 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic what to expect?
Hi Denese,
Not too many caregivers on the site right now but here is a very good paper from the U. of Michigan on the surgery and care
www.med.umich.edu/1libr/urology/postcare/cystectneobladder.htm

Its all very individual with each one of us..some of us bounce back fairly easily..others take a bit more time. Only pushing to do is to get him to move around....not run a mile or anything..just get up and move. Meals will be light and low fibre at first as intestines are pretty angry. Personally i put in some pretty high calorie stuff at first as i lost 20 lbs. and Starbucks mocha has plenty of those. I made sure i had one or two eggs a day in some form as there's the protein and really an egg is a complete meal. Soups with soft veggies. Pasta was good. And a banana a day because my nurse made me!! No lifting for 6 weeks ..if you bend down use the knees.
I'm sure others will pop in here and like i said its all very individual.....but 6 to 8 weeks is the norm to start feeling like you no long look like an ape and can walk upright and climb stairs in one fell swoop.
Good luck and we're here for you as well as your hubby.
pat

12 years 10 months ago #37908 by johnanddenise
what to expect? was created by johnanddenise
Hi. It appears that my husband will be having neobladder surgery in July. It would be helpful to know the perspective of caregivers post surgery for the time period he is still in the hospital and then during the recuperation process back home. For example, is it important to be ever present? How hard should a caregiver push on things like eating and walking? What was effective in helping your spouse through the process? What can be done now to get ready for an easier transition back home? etc.

Much thanks.

- Denise

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne