any 20\'s males out there with neobladder?

12 years 11 months ago #37575 by dukel
Replied by dukel on topic any 20\'s males out there with neobladder?
RysmomKB, Sorry your son and your family are having to go through these hard times. I know you were looking for help and info from a twenty something, but being you have gotten few responses i will give my thoughts and hope they help a little. As for the age thing, i am 64 and had my neo for about eighteen months. I was out trying to walk soon after i got home. It really takes about six weeks to start to feel like life is ok again. I found a foam wedge went laying down really helps on getting up and down. At eighteen months there is nothing i can't do now that i did before. To this point the neo was the best choice i could have made. For long term like your son i would think it the best, but would ask dr. about long term results and what complications there might be over time. The most important issue right now is for your son to get the BEST POSSIBLE DOCTOR HE CAN GET!!! If his surgery is done as well as mine, I thing he can live a normal life. I was lucky that my surgery went so great. I DO NOT WANT YOUR SON AT 25 years old TO DEPEND ON LUCK. Pat on this site can give you the info for the best doctors.
Wishing you and your son the best.
Duke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #37471 by Lynda
Replied by Lynda on topic any 20\'s males out there with neobladder?
Hi RysMomKB - Glad you found us, but sorry that you and he are going thru this. You may want to check out the Men and Bladder Cancer tab. Some of the guys here post regularly to that column and you will probably find some helpful advice there. And maybe prompt more questions. If you feel comfortable posting more specifics about your sons cancer and what stage, etc. there will be someone who has been there already and will respond. Good luck to your family. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on his/your journey.

Lynda

Lynda

3 years UTIs
Indiana Pouch - July 2010
Pulmonary Met. - May 2011
Chemo started June 2011

12 years 11 months ago #37470 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic any 20\'s males out there with neobladder?
I am so sorry about your son's diagnosis, especially at such a young age. You are doing the right thing by trying to learn as much as you can about options.

I just wanted to welcome you to the site but unfortunately can't answer your questions on that particular topic. There are very knowledgeable members that post here regularly who will share their experiences with you. In the meantime, you can do a search in the forum for "neobladder" and find several useful posts. Best wishes...

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

12 years 11 months ago #37457 by RysMomKB
My 25 year old son is facing radical cystectomy from bladder cancer, hopefully with neobladder, in the next month. Just trying to find any information at all on post op course, how long did recovery take you, have you gone back to work, and if so, how long were you out - weeks? months? When were you able to go out and do things again. Just read a post today where someone was 17 weeks postop and just going on their first outing. Is that typical? Whatever helpful hints, suggestions, questions to ask the doctor - anything you can suggest, share or tell us. We have been reading tons on the internet about the mechanics of how it happens, but more want the practical, personal views. What to be careful of, what to do or not to do. Most everything we have read talks about people much older. We would like to know how younger people effected by this handle the day to day after surgery and what to expect. I am not wording this right. Please don't take offense if you are not a 20 something. Your insights and help will be greatly appreciated also. Thank you

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne