not as scared

13 years 2 weeks ago #37092 by hwg
Replied by hwg on topic not as scared
THANKS TO ALL WHO GAVE ME ADVICE AND PRAYED FOR MY HUSBAND ALAN HIS SURGERY IS OVER AND HE CALLED ME THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 weeks ago #37077 by hwg
no i dont have anybody with a big personality i am not going to be at the hospital until friday when and if he gets a private room and then i will stay at the hospital for a few days thanx for the great advice

13 years 3 weeks ago #37073 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic not as scared
Good luck tomorrow. It is a big day indeed. The first day of being cancer free.

I have a little advice for the surgery time. Do you have a BIG Personality friend who dominates a conversation? She just might make the wait more managable. It is hard to fall into a bundle of nerves of somone is making your mind move constantly. Good or Bad. If the surgery is 10 hours, your mind can play tricks on you.

Just a thought

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

13 years 3 weeks ago #37052 by hwg
your information is an invaluable assist to me and my husband you know as alanjay

13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #37046 by mmc
Replied by mmc on topic not as scared
Having you there is going to mean the world to him.

My wife was by my side throughout. We booked a room for her at a hotel close to the hospital so it was easy for her to get back and forth and not have to take the 1.5 hour drive all the way back to our house.

Can't tell you how great it was to have her there.

Bring some gum with you. Have him chew gum (of course talk to the doctor about this first) once he's coherent and up to the job. That can help wake the intestines up. It's pretty traumatic on the intestines to go through this surgery and a common issue is post-op ileus (intestines not waking up for a long time or getting a blockage). The other really important thing is for him to walk as soon as possible. That is the day after surgery. He won't feel like it. Encourage him and walk with him. Even if he only walks in place next to the bed, it helps. Getting the intestines going is a huge deal and he will start feeling better as soon as that happens. There is a reason the nurses get all excited about patients being able to pass gas after after surgery. Not recommended at other times :) but post op it's a GOOD thing. If he gets ticked at you for trying to encourage him to walk, then don't push it too hard. Just stop by the nurses station when you are out of the room some time and get them to pester him about it. :) Might be a bit sneaky but it keeps the peace between the two of you and it is in his best interest. If he waits until he feels like walking before he actually starts walking, his recovery will be longer and more painful. Maybe discuss this with him now--before surgery.

Also, he needs to use that spirometer after surgery. That's the plastic thing with the float in it that he has to suck on the tube to make the float rise. That helps the lungs. Nobody likes doing that thing either but it also helps get the body back on track and is important.

Bring a few good books with you. The surgery is long and then there is a lot of time when he will be sleeping. Don't forget to take care of yourself during this time. Take breaks when he's sleeping, walk around, find the internet and post to us here to let us know how he (AND YOU) are doing. Don't forget to eat! Some caregivers get so caught up in the patient that they forget about themselves and that winds up making the patient feel bad for the caregiver. That doesn't help either of you.

Like they say on the airplanes "Put your mask on first, before helping others".

Good luck to you and your husband!

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 weeks ago #37043 by hwg
thank you for your advice i am trying my best to remain calm and be positive it is still scary and i know that he will be ok and i will help him to get through his recovery

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne