HELP! My 13yo is getting Ileal Conduit in April

13 years 1 month ago #36974 by Babsiebob
Replied by Babsiebob on topic HELP! My 13yo is getting Ileal Conduit in April
Hi
You asked about bathing and swimming with an ic, I am not 13 but I do have an Ileal Conduit and on the days that I change I take the old bag off and get in the shower with nothing on it, believe me it feels so good to have the water on it, in between changes I shower with the bag on. I also go swimming, I don't know about diving as I am a 71 year old lady and am past that stage of my life. Also when your son has his procedure done and you get his supplies include in them some Eakin Seals, they will prevent leaks, they work great. Best of luck to your son, he sounds like a great kid.
Barbara

Dx 4-28-08
pT3a no mo
Rc with Ileal Conduit on 6-09-08
2nd surgery on 6-27-09 for ureter leak
Renal failure on 7-01-09 nephy tube and then stent on 7-09-09
so far so good

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #36968 by mmc
Yep. I'm an engineer. At least that was my career path. Don't really do engineering anymore.

I just thought "What about an alarm watch" and did some internet searching. Never knew there was a "bed wetting store dot com" until it came back from a Google search.

Here is another thing they have there in case the watch isn't enough. Clips on the clothes and does significant vibration in addition to tones. They have a lot of gadgets related to bed wetting for kids that I see no reason couldn't be used by adults.

www.bedwettingstore.com/Bedwetting_Alarms/malem_ultimate_bedwetting_alarm.htm

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 1 month ago #36967 by mamatrausch
Replied by mamatrausch on topic HELP! My 13yo is getting Ileal Conduit in April
Mike
This is a great watch!!!
Im getting one for myself. Are you an engineer?? If not you should be or an inventor. So many great ideas come from you.
Julie

T1/G3-CIS 10-01-2010
10-27-2010-Indiana Pouch

13 years 1 month ago #36966 by mmc
EMR,

Just wondering if you may have tried this already.
You mentioned that he forgets to cath during the day and doesn't always get up during the night to cath.

www.bedwettingstore.com/Watches/item_vibralite3.htm?color=navyblue

Having an alarm on his watch go off at a set interval as a reminder during the day and I don't know how much vibration it does and if it would wake him at night. I saw this though and thought it might help.

Mike

Age 54

13 years 1 month ago #36963 by motomike
EMR
Fear of the unknown can be devastating for an adult as well as a 13 year old. While the medical system deals with the technical aspects of a rather involved surgery the system does little to educate patients and caregivers with advance background or follow-up information (my opinion, of course). The ileal conduit surgery is a very old reliable procedure. It is painless because you sleep through it. There may be a bit of pain as drugs are reduced in recovery. I would drill your surgeon about recovery. Expect to have the incision to be stapled closed and oxygen in nose tubes. The docs now have some really amazing stuff, which heals incisions very very quickly. The follow-up hospital time is to get the internal organs back to functioning in a normal manner. The digestive track must slowly get back in service so a liquid diet will last until things start working. Farts become a good thing and a sign of improvement.
Ask your surgeon for an ostomy bag and a DVD video about the bag. Several manufactures have them. There is no doubt in my mind that the important support after discharge from the hospital is your Stoma nurse (and, of course your friends here). Is he/she online for simple questions? If your son has sensitive skin (I do) take extra sanitation steps. I powder my shoes for athletes foot, trim my nails and clean them just to avoid infections.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 1 month ago #36958 by mmc
You know they can grow a bladder for him from his own bladder tissue. It doesn't work for us bladder cancer patients but it may be an option for him.

singularityhub.com/2009/06/08/growing-organs-in-the-lab/

Age 54

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne