HELP! My 13yo is getting Ileal Conduit in April

13 years 1 week ago #37329 by motomike
This is great news. I knew the kid would do well but was worried anyway. I just posted my bag procedure so I won’t repost it here. It’s kind of long. I have trouble editing.
It is on a thread “Can you tell me about Bladder replacement options” and it is #37325.
I set a TV tray up in the spare bathroom with all the stuff easy to reach in front of the toilet. I even have a hair dryer to get the skin dry and ready for the bag adhesives to stick real well.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 week ago - 13 years 1 week ago #37328 by emr7888
The surgery went well on Thursday even though his epidural after the surgery didnt work and he had to have pain meds through his IV. His urologist said he was the perfect patient and said he couldn't have asked for a more perfect recovery. We are praising God that everything went so well. He came home from the hospital last night only 5 nights in the hospital after his surgery!! His is still pretty sore but is moving around well and seems to be well on the way to full recovery.

I am sure this is just the beginning of this adventure and I will be on here with a ton of questions for you all as we learn our way. Thank you again so much for all your help and the prayers.

Oh, I dont remember if I posted this before or not but the reason for this surgery was to releive his kidneys. His creatinine level has been 1.2-1.5 normally and higher than that from time to time as he has been hospitalized. Normal range for this is 0.5 to 1.0. His last lab before we left the hospital showed 1.1 and his BUN which is another indicator of kidney function was within the normal level for the first time in 5 years!!!

13 years 3 weeks ago #37091 by hwg
my husband just had his ileal conduit put in today because of bladder cancer and he is doinbg ok i was very scared but it all worked out ok

13 years 4 weeks ago #37016 by motomike
Emr
“being bored in the hospital” yes, I can relate to that. I had to get friends buy me a laptop. Is there a scheduled date yet? I would think that his age would be an advantage to his IC Room and recovery room time. We’ll be thinking of him.

I'm 70, retired heat/air contractor. After 4 months of keymo ileal conduit (IC) surgery removed bladder & prostate May 2010

13 years 4 weeks ago #37015 by mmc
Glad to hear it is reversible! I wish for the very best outcome.

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 4 weeks ago #37013 by emr7888
Mike, thanks for all the great ideas. We have tried many different alarms but that is not the whole problem. We finally got to talk with the doc today and the name of the procedure he is having is called an ileovesicostomy. It is completely reversible at time down the road when he is older and is ready to cath again. He is actually looking forward to not having to cath and is not too terribly worried about the surgery or life with the bag. he is more worried about being bored in the hospital becuase he has been there, done that and knows how dull that can be. The Children's hospital where he will be is really good though and try to make it as easy a stay as possible for the kids there. Prayers appreciated....See ya'll in a couple of weeks on the other side!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne