Neobladder - Caregiver time off from work - ideas?

13 years 2 months ago #36087 by LoveMyHusband
Replied by LoveMyHusband on topic Neobladder - Caregiver time off from work - ideas?
It's really true about the healing process. There is not time line set in stone because everyone is different.

I have a friend with breast cancer and her employer threatened to fire her if she didn't return to work 3 weeks after the doctors said she was in remission.

I asked her not to go back so soon. Remission is one thing. Healing from months of chemo so she went into remission was another thing.

She needed at least a year to recover but she went back and they harassed her constantly about taking sick days. That was 3 years ago. She finally went on disability last year. When I saw her early this year, she said she never should have gone back to work. The stress made her condition worse and worse.

I'm sharing this so others will know that just because you're out of the hospital and start to feel better after a month or two doesn't necessarily mean you're healed enough to go back to work. I'm a strong proponent of taking all the time you need to get well, especially with cancer.

Rayn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago #36083 by LeeH
I had an epidural with an auto pump coming out of my neo surgery. By the time they took it off, I just needed a little Vicodin for a day and then nothing. Needless to say, I'm a big believer in them.

That was about as near to being painless surgery as you can get.

Lee

13 years 2 months ago #36076 by LoveMyHusband
Replied by LoveMyHusband on topic Neobladder - Caregiver time off from work - ideas?
That's what I'm afraid of as well; that he's got this idea that this is a walk in the park and he'll be out in 5 days. He might get lucky but I doubt it.

He's a very physically strong guy for 68 and healthy in all other ways. He usually works out and walks but this last surgery took him down a few notches. The bleeding has stopped but he's still depressed in his own way. I've never seen him like this before. He's exhausted and a bit depressed I'm thnking.

Who wouldn't be facing something like this. This is the real beginning of our journey through this. It's never been more real then now.

Rayn

13 years 2 months ago #36075 by mmc
Not at all. I didn't take it that way. Just wanted to be sure I didn't mislead you in any way regarding recovery. I wish I fell in the group that got out of the hospital in 5 or 6 days. :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 2 months ago #36074 by LoveMyHusband
I didn't mean to invalidate your pain and process Mike. I'm sure this surgery comes with complications we can't possibly plan for and I'm glad you came out of it well and happy.

Thanks for all the information on the epidural and nasal tube. It's information I'll be able to pass on when he's ready to listen.

Rayn

13 years 2 months ago #36073 by Cynthia
Hello Cynthia, (I was really upset I was not the only one in the world by the way)

What you will find is that there is not hard and fast rule to the question of how much time you need to take off. For some a week after leaving the hospital will work for others they need more time. It depends on ones condition prior to the surgery and and complications from the surgery. Also make sure you factor in the time that he will be in the hospital that is usually between five and ten days. Again that depends on the doctor and complications and how quickly the intestines wake up.

It depends is the answer as you are finding. I had an infection in my suture site and Ed had to help me day to day with that and I had trouble with nausea and was depressed and if not for him keeping after me to keep hydrated and to eat a little I probably would have not done as well as I did. I had been dealing with radiation, chemotherapy and surgical procedures for over a year prior to my Radical Cystectomy so I was not going into surgery in the best of shape to start with so my condition was not the same as someone who did not have these factors.

As a rule two to three weeks should do the trick but you might want to talk about going back to work part time sooner if all is going well. A lot depends on the doctor also for example in Mikes last post he talks about not getting the GI tube out too soon. My doctor does not use them as a matter of course and I have never had one and that is only one example of differences between doctors and their standard practices.

You are doing the right thing by trying to plan ahead and there is power in knowledge but part of that knowledge in this case needs to be that there can be variations and that is ok as we all just have similar not identical paths.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne