Neobladder - Caregiver time off from work - ideas?

13 years 3 months ago #36022 by Cyn2
Oh yeah, I knew exactly what you meant! Not a problem at all, but thank you for clarifying!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #36016 by mmc
I corrected my post above to say he "should NOT JUST lay around the house". You may have figured out that was what I meant since the next part talked about walking and stair climbing but I wanted to be sure. "Not" sure changes the meaning of something. :)

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago #36008 by Cyn2
Thanks Mike!

That response is exactly what I've been looking for. And actually, your description and timeline seem to be very close to what we're anticipating--providing all goes as planned (of course).

That definitely helps with the mental planning--we'll be talking with the surgeon and his staff soon and can then also see what their estimates are (in terms of the home care phase).

Either way, I'll fill out the forms as best as is possible and can then just deal with whatever as it comes.

Part of the home care, to be perfectly honest, will be helpful for me--I don't want to worry while I'm at work. We'll be fine with the food--my husband does more cooking than I do...but you're right, I can have things prepared so that when he's on his own all will go a little bit easier.

I'm glad that the cat does not like to be picked up...she definitely weighs more than a milkshake.

Alright then. Thank you again! Very helpful details!

~Cynthia

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #36006 by mmc
Cynthia,

Great question! My opinion is one-two weeks for hospital time.
Getting out of the hospital can take anywhere from around 5 days to 10 days (took me 12 because of a nasty ileus).

Probably another week at home after that.

He should be up and around at home for short periods of time but probably shouldn't go for walks outside (for the first couple weeks) unless you are home.

If he doesn't have any complications a total of two weeks of you being with him (one in hospital and one at home). If he needs to stay in longer, then probably three weeks total.

I double checked this with my wife and daughter (who were around with me in the hospital and at home during my recovery).

The consensus was 2-3 weeks.

Mike

PS: He shouldn't overdo it and shouldn't lift anything heavier than a milkshake for the first couple weeks home. However, he should NOT JUST lay around at home. Periodic walks around the house and up/down stairs if you have them is good for the recovery and important.

If he can't cook for himself you might want to make him some stuff that he can heat up in the microwave. I like to cook and I was making stuff for myself within the first week of being home.

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 3 months ago #36003 by Cyn2
Hello All!

I'm new to this website and forum--but don't necessarily feel that way. My husband is having R/C-neobladder surgery next month, having just finished his neoadjuvant chemo in December.

Wanting to get the ball rolling immediately, here's my question: I'm trying to figure out how much time to take off from work in order to help with my husband's post-operative care at home.

I've been reading this website as a guest since last fall and have found it invaluable, comforting and inspiring! After reading the entirety of "Duke's story" on the muscle-invasive thread--I gave the link to my husband and he's chatted a bit with Duke and some of the thread's great commentators and supporters.

I'm really thankful for all work of the moderators and participants.
I think I've gone through Duke's story (Part 1 & 2) a couple of times, trying to gauge his recovery process.

I know, I know...each case can be, and is...different. One person may recover quickly, and another much much more slowly. One person may have complications and someone else may not.

Nevetheless, in the end I've got to choose which type of leave to take from work. It's a big decision. We caregivers are often balancing pay versus no pay, etc. And...I've got to sort of choose "before" I actually take the time off. If I had years of vacation and sick days saved up, well, fine then. I wouldn't worry about it. But I don't.

As everyone here might understand: health insurance, job security, money, using up all your vacation--or not, bills, lack of work, worrying about the hubby if I'm off at work, etc. all is added to the cancer mix.

Also: yep! My husband's health comes first. If I had to take 2 years off, I would. (Though: it's my job provides all that health insurance, so it's really important). Then again, maybe he'll need me less than I'm anticipating!

Any concensus on a timeline for the at home help? My husband's in his early 50s and handled his chemo quite well--considering it ain't no picnic. I didn't need to take time off for that--he didn't want me too either! :)

Best to you all! Thank you again!

Cynthia (A different Cynthia...not "The Cynthia") Cheers!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne