Neobladder - Caregiver time off from work - ideas?

13 years 1 month ago #36221 by LoveMyHusband
Replied by LoveMyHusband on topic Neobladder - Caregiver time off from work - ideas?
OMG!!! :ohmy: I don't think my husband would have been laughing at the time either. He's amazingly generous but I think he would have taken my purse away forever and thrown my car keys in the Santa Clarita River (or me)!

Seriously, I think it takes about 3 weeks to really come off anesthesia after surgery. Or it takes the body at least that long to get all that crap out of your system. The body really does shut down from the shock and God knows what your brain chemicals are going through.

Apparently, no one put a "Shop Block" on your wife's brain after her surgery. ;)

Rayn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #36212 by mmc
That's funny! My wife and I have a rule that there can be NO SHOPPING while still on pain meds.

She had a surgery once right after we bought our house. I wasn't moved back yet and was still living in the Philippines. She went to Ethan Allen and managed to spend $16K (yes K means THOUSAND) on curtains for the new house.

She also got a few couch pillows made that I later calculated from the bill to cost about $150 each.

She didn't really remember much about what she bought or how much it was afterward. I'm planning to send a letter to Congress that they pass a low against "shopping under the influence"! :)

It's YEARS later now so I can laugh about it but I can assure you I wasn't laughing then.

Be sure to put a credit blocking application on your husband's laptop so he can't shop online. :) <joking around font>

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 1 month ago #36202 by LoveMyHusband
Replied by LoveMyHusband on topic Neobladder - Caregiver time off from work - ideas?
Haha! Yes, I do get the point. He was very out of it after he got out of this last surgery. He says he doesn't remember a thing (hehehe . . . I'll have to hold his credit cards for him ;) )

He won't be in any shape to really do any work for awhile.
He doesn't go anywhere without his computer though, so it's like a security blanket (just not as fuzzy)!

Rayn

13 years 1 month ago #36198 by mmc
Rayn,

You might want to supervise if he starts posting much from the hospital after surgery. My wife told me that after a phone call from my CEO, I said "Bye, Love You!". Not sure how "in your right mind" one is right after surgery. :)

Maybe a delay on any emails he tries to send to have you check them first. LOL! :-)

Could be fodder for some funny stories though. :woohoo:

Mike

Age 54
10/31/06 dx CIS (TisG3) non-invasive (at 47)
9/19/08 TURB/TUIP dx Invasive T2G3
10/8/08 RC neobladder(at 49)
2/15/13 T4G3N3M1 distant metastases(at 53)
9/2013 finished chemo -cancer free again
1/2014 ct scan results....distant mets
2/2014 ct result...spread to liver, kidneys, and lymph...

13 years 1 month ago #36197 by LoveMyHusband
Hello Cynthia,

My husband is going to take his laptop to the hospital. He most likely won't want to use it for a couple of days, but he's a Webmaster and can work from the hospital.

Sending you all the best!

Rayn :)

13 years 1 month ago #36196 by Cyn2
Hi All,

Thanks again for the informative replies!

Rayn, you're so right. You really have to strike that balance between rest, recovery and the prevention of stress. (I'm thinking of your friend).

I "think/hope" we'll be okay in terms of how much time I'll need to stay home and help. My husband's work is freelance, and like Mike's situation, he'll probably be up working at his computer within a week or two at home (providing all goes well).

We're trying (mentally) to prepare for any scenario, good or bad--hoping and working toward good processes and outcomes: optimistic yes, naive optimists, no. I'm not too worried about my work...I can take up to 3 months off (per the Federal law regarding Family Medical Leave Act)--and that can be in a varity of forms, etc.

What's really been great are all the details and specifics. This information has helped guide and focus some of our questions.

We've got our dates now for surgery and prep days and so I'll be going through some of these posts again to add to my "question" list.

Thanks again for the great help and continued work on this site.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne