New here, looking for support for husband with BC

13 years 5 months ago #34838 by TheWifeAgain
Replied by TheWifeAgain on topic New here, looking for support for husband with BC
elle wrote:
Hi Elle

We sound like Husband-With-Bladder-Cancer twins. Our situation is similar. It's a non stop cycle of cysto, new tumor, BCG - lather, rinse, repeat. The longest my husband has gone without a new tumor is six months.

We live out life in three month increments. I sometimes wonder how much more BCG his bladder can take.

My husband is the quiet type. Message boards and support groups are not something he is interested in. Your husband would probably find many of the male members helpful, supportive and friendly.

Best of luck!

Age 53 Currently
Bladder Cancer Diagnosis October 2006 T1G3
2011 Finally made it 6 month between Cystos
8/22/2011 Cysto in the OR
(BCG and BCG Maintenance over the years)
Graduated to yearly Cystos
Tumor found at first one year Cysto - TURBT 4/26/2013
Kidney pain - CT scan 5/1/2013

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #34682 by sara.anne
The lack of local support groups, and the general lack of really good knowledge of bladder cancer issues, even among urologists, are among the reasons that led Cynthia to found this group.

Many of us find the support we need here, as well as the wealth of information on our conditions. As you and your husband peruse our forum, you will see what I mean!

We all welcome you here.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

13 years 5 months ago #34678 by elle
Thank you, jj. The San Francisco group was the closest one I could find, also. He has had prostate cancer and has been through that surgery and is doing very well in that regard, so he's kind of an old hand in that realm. The bladder cancer, as I'm sure people here know very well, comes with its own peculiar set of problems and stresses. I'm sort of surprised that there are so few support venues, but I will continue to direct him toward this forum and hope that perhaps here he can get the support he needs.

Thanks again for your answer.

13 years 5 months ago #34675 by jj803
"In person" support groups that are bladder cancer specific are not very common. I believe there is one in the San Francisco area, but as far as I know that is the closest to your locale. For men with some of the issues of bc particularly after RC prostate cancer support groups are a fairly decent fit (Man to Man). For low grade, non-invasive disease this might be of less help, but they are at least other men dealing with a chronic condition and the side effects of treatment. Probably less to be gained from a general cancer group, although I regularly attend one of these and enjoy the fellowship. Best wishes,

jj

13 years 5 months ago #34670 by elle
My husband has been battling with bladder cancer for several years now. We go through the cycle of quarterly cystoscopy and, sometimes, resection. It seems he can't get beyond a year or so without a new tumor appearing. So far they are not very invasive, but with each new occurrence, he becomes more frightened.

We're in Sacramento and I'm having a hard time locating in-person support groups specific to bladder cancer. I think something like that might be helpful for him, but maybe there aren't any? If anyone has ideas for us, please post to let me know.

I will direct him to this forum, as well as some other online resources I've found. Just thought that face-to-face support would be good for him.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne