Anybody out there?

13 years 3 weeks ago #36997 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Anybody out there?
Rhea, this has been so hard on all of you. Wish there were something I could do, but all that is possible is to wish you
comfort and support.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 3 weeks ago #36991 by Rhea
Replied by Rhea on topic Anybody out there?
Gosh, I have just read my post from a year ago and my life sounds so terrible. It's a year later and I still have similar issues. Unfortunately, we are on the 10th chemo, brain mets, brain radiation. This past chemo has been really harsh. My husband is in bed for 4 days before he has any energy to get up and he would only drink banana milk shakes.
I still am taking it one day at a time and try to do whatever I can. The doctor said that this may be the last chemo she would give him and then suggested "supportive care". I had to finally corner her and ask how much time do we have and she said 6mths to a year.
We have been dealing with this for almost 4 years. I never thought I would say this but thank G-d my MIL is coming to stay with us next week :blink:
Rhea

14 years 1 month ago #30638 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Anybody out there?
Just remember that we are here, if you want to talk, or want to hear how we handled something ourselves, or just to complain about the things we all complain about!

Stephany

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #30631 by Rhea
Thank you Stephany, I dont think my hubby is at the hospice stage. The doctor has not had any discussions about time. His cancer has seemed to grow at a slow steady pace. I know that can change at any time. The doctor just seems to feel that chemotherapy is the only method right now.

I feel like the tazmanian devil the way he whirls around. The 2 things that keep me going is that I know I have to work and take care of my son. I try to take care of my hubby as much as I can. And of course taking care of myself comes last. I know, I know you cant take care of others unless you take care of yourself. :)
I am trying to take things one day at a time. I feel that I will handle things as they come up. As with anything there are good days and bad days.
Thank you for your support, Rhea

14 years 1 month ago #30487 by Stephany
Replied by Stephany on topic Anybody out there?
I don't know a lot about the effects of only Gemzar, but I know the Alimta was very hard on my husband. After he had that treatment, he pretty much gave up, and had nothing but low white counts, etc. I still think that the chemo was what did the most damage, instead of the cancer, but that is not all bad, because his last days were fairly peaceful, for him, and for his family.

Have you contacted hospice? You will find that there are a lot of discussions about hospice on this site, and I fought and fought with myself about whether or not to call in hospice, but when I did, I wondered about why I had waited. They were wonderful, and made his time easier. They have a lot of help, both for patients AND families. I still hold dear one of the printed works that they gave me when he entered hospice care.

It is wonderful that your son can participate in his illness and journey. He will remember these days with love. Are you taking lots of pictures for him?

And there is an upside to your having the responsibility for all the family details that you will cherish in your future. I, too, was the caretaker of the family finances, etc., and when I saw the problems that other widows faced during the illness and aftermath, I could at least be happy with my facility in the finances.

Are you able to talk with him about "what to do if...?" And does your doctor speak clearly about prognosis and end of life matters in place?

Forgive me if these questions cause you discomfort. I speak only from my heart after going through this journey with the help of others on this site.

Stephany in Iowa

14 years 1 month ago #30486 by Rhea
Thank you George and Stephany for your responses. George- I have tried to explain to hubby how I am feeling but I guess he may feel there is nothing he can do. In our time together, I have been the one who handles most everything, so maybe it's expected. Also I am afraid to make him feel bad or to find out how much "pain" I am in. He is not very verbal to me and he never seems to understand why I need some time to myself.

Stephany- I am sorry for your loss. Hubby is under the 5th chemotherapy of Gemzar and he seemed to be ok this week. His last chemo- Alimta was really harsh on him extreme fatigue and nausea. It has only been a week on Gemzar so I dont know if the symptoms will get worse. He pretty much cant walk around much like at the mall, he gets tired. He thankfully has a wonderful relationship with my son and they spend a lot of time together. I worry about that too, if later on it goes downhill.

My son is pretty good, he knows daddy is sick and is somewhat understanding. He does act up a bit, he is very active and full of energy, so I take him out if hubby needs to rest and he is in school most of the day.
The doctor is ok, she is not very warm and when I ask questions they are short answered.
I did find cancer care.org and went to a social worker but it is hard to make weekly appointments.
Thank you again for listening. I feel better today! I have to keep up my strength.
Rhea

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne