My Bad

16 years 4 weeks ago #14712 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic My Bad
Dick is usually very good about taking medications but when he has a fever he loses track of time. Now with the pain and the pain medication he has problems focusing and winds up missing steps in his regular routine. I have to keep reminding him to take his insulin and sometimes that still doesn't work.
His oncologist told him yesterday how lucky he was to have me as a team mate for this battle. The Dr. said he saw many people who didn't have anyone. Then Dick told his primary care Dr. today what the oncologist said so he did take it in.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 4 weeks ago #14670 by harry s
Replied by harry s on topic My Bad
Hi Julie - I hope things are getting better. I know while Harry was in the hospital (28 days) he was frustrated at the fact that he'd been there so long and his bowels weren't moving and all he wanted to do was go home! He has never had to take meds of any kind so it was difficult for him to need them. This was especially true during his chemo treatments and I had to constantly remind him that the "doctor said" he should take the anti nausea meds BEFORE he was nauseous and the heartburn meds BEFORE it developed since after a terrible bout with heartburn the dr. gave him some meds to prevent it. He just didn't want to take it and it frustrated me because I didn't want him to go through the pain and misery...he finally did relent and took some, but it was a struggle. I'm sure, after 47 years you'll weather this too. You're in our prayers. Margot and Harry

16 years 1 month ago #14640 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic My Bad
Julie,
Dick is probably sick of all of it, then you are the punching bag, where else to vent all the frustration, take it as you do so well, with a grain of salt and blow it off ..he doesn't mean it but at the time your readily available so there ya go!!! Good excuse to go home gather your thoughts and have a minute for yourself!!! Remember yourself!!!!! KEEPS US UP ON WHATS NEXT,, TAKE CARE , GINGER

16 years 1 month ago #14591 by Julie
Replied by Julie on topic My Bad
I'm sure he was frustrated and in pain and he tries not to blow up. I like the Mr. Hyde/Dr Jekyll analogy.
He is so upset at how the pain medication made him so constipated that now he is home he won't take it. Of course the pain makes him as irritable.

I'm sure things will work out. We have been married 47 years so this is not the first squall we have weathered. I wrote in part to let people know that even the most patient person (which I am far from being) has limits. I am not upset at him as much as the situation of being in the hospital for so long. By the last day the dietary department was making simple mistakes like no silverware, no cup for his coffee, and regular Sierra Mist instead of diet and when he phoned for a cup and diet soda they made the same mistake again. That was irritating but what was aggravating was the Dr. deciding to discontinue some of his medications while he was in the hospital and that caused some of the pain and difficulties and we spoke with her on the second day he was there about why he was supposed to have the meds she cut.

We both devoutly hope we can keep us out of the hospital but these damn UTI's can sure sneak up on a person.

Volunteer Coordinator
ABLSC

16 years 1 month ago #14589 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic My Bad
Hi Julie, I feel for you and your frustrations with the hospital. This change in your husband's behavior is likely down to his own frustrations at being stuck in the hospital and probably the drugs. He is on a heavy dose of painkillers which is bound to have an affect on his mood and of course he will take it out on you and as Warren says he feels safe in your love.
As Pat says sometimes these drugs bring out the Mr Hyde in you, I have a great relationship with my husband, he seen the Mr Hyde in me after heavy duty painkillers. Believe me I felt really guilty later on and I bet your husband feels guilty too. Hope everything works out for you both Julie. Take care Maria xx

16 years 1 month ago #14554 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic My Bad
Warren is so right. Honestly Julie when i was on the heavy duty meds...whatever they were at the time..i lost track of time, everything.....They tell me i was lucid but i don't remember much of anything...just random moments of "me"...the rest of the time i was apparently just alful to my sweet dear husband who never left my side...the drugs brought out the "Mr. Hyde" in me. Once my husband convinced them to wean me down off the drugs I remember looking at my husband and asking him how long i had been there...He said 2 l/2 weeks...I couldn't believe it. He knew I was not myself and had to fight the establishment to get me off the drugs. I'm so thankful he was there to fight for me. I so regret any pain i might have caused him as we always had a great supportive relationship. And i remember when my father came out of heart bypass surgery and he was so doped up he became extremely abusive...it was very difficult....and i had to be his fighter. So please don't take it personally...I'm sure its just the drugs doing most of the talking. Its ok to take a break and cry but go back in there with your battle gear on and face off with the establishment and know that your husband dearly loves you. Its ok to fight for him. Pat

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne