Our Little Get Away!!!!

16 years 2 months ago #13440 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic Our Little Get Away!!!!
Aimeth,
Great!!!!Its so nice to be apart of the moving america, especially at Disney.
In spite of your concerns you made it a good trip. Fear is a part of so many things with bladder cancer, some fear expressing how they feel to others, going on a trip can give you fear, will I have everything I need etc., overcoming it is such a big deal!!! Your 4 year old son must have had a blast. It is magical and takes you out of the reality just for a while anyway. Still I am sorry you are going thru this, and as a caregiver sister I pray you have strength. Ginger
( you went to Disney I went to Vegas, both are sort of the same thing, in different ways,one is child like ne is adult like)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13437 by aimeth
Replied by aimeth on topic Our Little Get Away!!!!
Ginger,

I can relate with you. We just came back from a trip to Disney. I admit that at first I was very skeptical do to my husband's condition. So I was afraid to go. Also there were some people that wanted to come with us and I was a bit uncomfortable with that. But I tell you I am so glad they all came with us, I was soooo wrong. It was 8 of us, that included my son 4 yrs and our niece 8. And in-spite of my husband having temperatures every day, pain, neck problems, constipation, a bed sore, doped on pain killers, not able to walk well(we had to wheel him in a wheel chair everywhere we went ) ...... well we all had a wonderful time. We all connected and just laugh and all tried to forget about his cancer and fate.

So from experience I agree with you, everyone if possible should do something like this. Get a change in climate and surroundings, take friends and family with you and just have fun. It did all of us a lot of good including my husband. If we did it and I tell you my husband is very sick now, I think that everyone else can do this too.

Thanks for that Ginger! Take care, Aimeth

16 years 2 months ago #13306 by Gene Beane
Leigh,
Your trip sounds wonderful, I am a beach lover as well and the sun is my energy source, not much of it here lately in Cleveland Ohio.
Yes it is amazing, this surgery is like being hit with a boulder and then instructed to get up and get moving.Now we just went on a trip. We hope to go to Tucson Arizona soon, no beach but lots of sun.
Leigh I am so glad you are enjoying life, "THE CANARY ISLANDS"
And thanks for your comments, I always look for your updates on your progress!
Ginger

16 years 2 months ago #13290 by Leigh
Replied by Leigh on topic Our Little Get Away!!!!
Hello Ginger,

So glad to hear about your 5 day trip to Las Vegas with Gene and your family.

During my recovery from the RC which was the same time as Gene's I never thought I could be well enough to even consider a trip away from home.

It really is amazing that we can recover and return back to the land of the living after the RC, because at the time it seems like a never ending journey.

During recovery I was grateful just to be able to have a little walk and was so happy even just to have a bowel movement...I am sure Gene remembers those days very well.

My trip in December was for a week to Fuerteventura in the canary islands which I enjoyed so much and was so grateful to feel the suns warm on my face and body.

Just all the little things make a world of difference having lovely meals and walking along the beach. All things I never dreamed could happen again so quickly after such radical surgery.

It brings a smile to my face when I read stories like yours and others when we have recovered enough to start living again...

Ginger please keep up your wonderful support you offer here at the forum and I wish you and Gene a wonderful few months together with ought any visits to mdical centers....

Take care..
Leigh

Leigh, 39
Dx July 2007
TURBT July 2007
RC/Neobladder ,Studer Pouch, September 2007
Erasmus Centrum Rotterdam
TNM Classification: pT4 N2 Mo
4 cycles aduvant chemo Gemzar & Cisplatinum

16 years 2 months ago #13251 by Gene Beane
Thanks Maria,, it was a great time. Living in Cleveland I was just happy to see the sun for 5 days in a row, walking outside and seeing all the beautiful lights. Plus theres a continuous buzz of people moving along lots to do and see, makes you feel back in the groove!!!! Gene still has a couple issues, bowel related and nerve sparing concerns, all in due time!!!! One thing with this cancer, the surgery isn't so bad its the complete recovery that matters, we in our sixties will not settle because for less because of our age, but we will accept what we can get and get back in the groove. Ginger

16 years 2 months ago #13220 by Maria
Replied by Maria on topic Our Little Get Away!!!!
Ginger this is great news for you and Gene I am so pleased you enjoyed your well deserved vacation. Sounds like you had a great time and I am sure this must have been a great confidence boost for you both.
Let me know if you plan a trip to Florida?

Maria x

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne