moving along

16 years 2 months ago #13255 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic moving along
Aimeth,

Here are some of my quotes to the family if we needed to separate ourselves, " I think we are going to make it a early night, get some rest"
"" were sleeping in tomorrow so we'll see you for dinner"", AND THE BEST ONE IS,"" ""Gene hasn't had a bowel movement in a few days so were going to stick by the room for any sign of relief"" that one was true,,the lingering of b/c recovery, they are aware of the effects it has on the insides so they never question that one...Gene was a smoker for years, not a complete abuser, half a pack a day, maybe less, they harp on that one and never let it die, he quit of course, he also was in Vietnam , Agent Orange may be a factor, he filed with the government and may get a check from them monthly. Agent orange is recognized as a contributor to b/c...hope my quotes help you out...don't wait until your 62 before you realize you can set limits with family, without rocking the boat!!!Ginger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 years 2 months ago #13253 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic moving along
Aimeth,

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to bite my tongue (felt more like a bullet)»-(•¿•)-›, when others interject, play Dr. or invite themselves to our home. Relatives, Friends, alike in our case. I tell my husband first. I say: "so and so are coming over/into town on Thurs. what do you think? I wait for his reaction and then I get my cue...I let him make the decisions about who he wants to be around and who he doesn't. I try very hard not to let my feelings about a person come into play »-(•¿•)-›, and let him make the call.. He knows who has been there for him and who hasn't, who means well, and who is a know it all. He can say and be around whoever he wants in his position. The people are the same as they were prior to DX...It is just more annoying now...We are very lucky to have friends and family who are outstanding, wonderful people...We are very blessed...But the annoying ones will always be annoying!

Ginger's advice about making time for yourselves is so true...If they MUST accompany you on you trip...bow out when you can to spend time alone...

.·:*¨¨*:·.Karen.·:*¨¨*:·.

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 2 months ago #13252 by Gene Beane
Replied by Gene Beane on topic moving along
Aimeth,
This trip sounds like great fun, our trip to Vegas one week ago was a celebration , starting off 2008 with a new perspective..my younger brother and his wife and my older sister and her husband were all with us. 2007 was not good to us for many reasons. I can relate to your frustration with others jumping on to the band wagon to go to Disney. How old is your son??? Who wants to go with you??
Anyway it may be good to vent your feelings, but if not just approach it before hand decide to have a good time anyway and make it what you can, suck up the fun. Make it clear you want a few days by yourselves or evenings.. When in Vegas we met at dinner with our family members,then stuck together for the evening leaving the day open to ourselves..sometimes I can only handle a few hours with my sister, she seems to think I need her Advice because she's older, I am 62, and capable, believe me!! so we just make an excuse to wander off..be creative, make it work..SET LIMITS ON WHEN YOUR WITH OTHERS, MAKE IT CLEAR,I had so many speeches from people who nothing about what we were experiencing, suggestions, blah blah blah,,,I say this is your trip, enjoy it to the fullest, and let the rest go!!!!Have an outstanding time,,,,I love Disney, hope to do it soon ourselves!!! Ginger

16 years 2 months ago #12981 by momof4
Replied by momof4 on topic moving along
There have been so many people that have helped us in little ways and big ways...Dinners dropped off, visits just to talk and listen...I don't mean in anyway to sound ungreatful to those who know how to be friends...It is the out of town visitors that come in and try to change everything you have been doing...

It especially is annoying when these people rarely call, or ask how someone is...and then expect you to cater to them while they are here...I refuse to do this anymore...I just did this...They haven't even called once since their visit....These are the people I am referring to...If they were so worried wouldn't they call at least weekly? Out of Sight Out of Mind....

Caregiver for my Wonderful Husband Angelo, who has Metastatic Bladder Cancer.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

16 years 2 months ago #12873 by Patricia
Replied by Patricia on topic moving along
I sure hope all the books and meals i've dropped off to people i really cared about were taken in the love i felt for them. I never made my visits long. And when i was recovering from surgery i was ever so grateful for the meals my neighbors and friends brought over even if i didn't have an appetite.
When the son i had raised and lived in our house for 27 yrs until he married came down with testicular cancer at age 31...Mom was relegated to being an "outsider"...the wife of 3 yrs got all the information and made all the rules...thats ok...its just broke my heart. I was given times that i would be at the transfusion center to be with him and also to take him to my house every day when he was finished until his wife left work and would pick him up. All very heartbreaking...as i learned your child is always your child..doesn't matter how old they are. So give them a tiny little break here..let them know if they want to visit they could be a really big help if they would prepare meals and help with the house....If i had lived out of town i would have understood that. Pat

16 years 2 months ago #12871 by aimeth
Replied by aimeth on topic moving along
Hi Clara, That is well put all the "doctors" in the family. Funny!

Thanks for that, Aimeth

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne