How does coffee ???

4 years 1 month ago #59037 by swarmy2007
Replied by swarmy2007 on topic How does coffee ???
Excellent links and articles. Cleared up my coffee questions. Thanks for your efforts to inform us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 1 month ago #59033 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic How does coffee ???
Being a coffee addict, and having been told by one Doc to stop, I went hunting for support.

About Bladder Cancer and COFFEE. Links to full articles.

From - Harvard Men's Health
"The final protective measure is to drink more fluid. It seems intuitive that a high urine volume will dilute toxins in the urine and increase voiding frequency, both of which should protect the vulnerable bladder cells from carcinogens. But intuition can be misleading, and two small European studies reported mixed findings: French investigators did not demonstrate any benefit from a high fluid intake, but Spanish scientists reported that coffee appeared protective.

A large American study, however, was more optimistic. A 1999 Harvard study of 47,909 male health professionals showed that dilution may be a solution to the bladder cancer conundrum. All the men were free of cancer when the study began in 1986. Over the next 10 years, the researchers kept track of each man’s consumption of 22 different types of beverages as well as the occurrence of bladder cancers.

When the results were analyzed, the men who drank the most (averaging about 2 quarts a day) were 49% less likely to develop bladder cancer than the men who drank the least (averaging less than 1 quarts per day).
Although water was particularly beneficial, all types of beverages contributed to protection, including alcoholic and caffeinated beverages, which had been cited as possible risk factors in some earlier studies. "

www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/bladder-cancer-men-at-risk

A longer discussion, less directly science based, from the UK adds some interesting background.
From - Cancer Research UK

"As you may have already read in the news, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a group of international cancer experts convened by the World Health Organization, has just concluded that there’s no strong evidence that coffee increases your chances of cancer (something that they’ve mooted in the past).

But there may also be some other good news for those of us who are coffee drinkers: there’s also some emerging evidence that coffee could in fact reduce the risk of certain cancers."

scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2016/06/15/coffee-and-cancer-what-does-the-evidence-say/

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021
The following user(s) said Thank You: swarmy2007

4 years 1 month ago #59027 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic How does coffee ???
I have never seen any info against coffee and bladder cancer. Like most things, whoever coined the word "everything in moderation nothing to excess" nailed it and life itself!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swarmy2007

4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #59025 by swarmy2007
Replied by swarmy2007 on topic How does coffee ???
Thanks Grumpy.... Coffee about only sin I got left and was getting worried. Having a K-cup right now. Good luck and appreciate ur site.

4 years 1 month ago #59023 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic How does coffee ???
Whatever. NO ONE DARES TAKE AWAY MY COFFEE.

GRUMPY
aka
Sara Anne

PS Now almost 12 years cancer-free

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: CatherineH, swarmy2007

4 years 1 month ago #59022 by swarmy2007
How does coffee ??? was created by swarmy2007
I keep reading post where folks have cut back or stopped their coffee usage having bladder cancer. Have T-1 High Grade 3 years now with 4 TURBTS & BCG/GEMZAR and no one at doctor5s warned me away from drinking coffee. What is logic on this?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne