Looking for support group

7 years 4 months ago #52501 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Looking for support group
Just last month one of my best friends was diagnosed with cancer of the esophegus.
His first call was to me because he wanted support from a survivor. He and his wife were thunderstruck (you know the feeling) and felt as if they were on their own island.
My wife has always been my rock and we were more than willing to help.
But as they left and walked to their car, my rock was suddenly crying. She was thrown back to the time when we were unsure of survival. It never really gets too far away from the surface.

I understand the fear of "talking about it" from both sides of the conversation. You don't want to be hanging it on your sleeve all the time (people will avoid you) but sometimes I find in conversation, that someone will be speaking of a hard time they are having and they need to hear from someone who survived.They need that light at the end of the tunnel.

As a comic aside; I have had absolutely HILARIOUS conversations about life after cancer (incontinence, adult diapers and the surprise you get when you lift something)
Some people here have allowed these life changes to really get to them. I have found that making a joke of my journey and these changes, gives them a sense of humor.

We all have issues with this disease and its after effects. I remember mine.
After going through the removal surgery, and then 12 days in the hospital with all the bags, ports, dressings, meds and all the big stuff............... I became absolutely crazed with the tiny needles they used to give me shots or take a blood sample. I was absolutely sure the surgery was easier than the needles.

Sometimes its the little things that get to you.

Best of luck in finding you comfort zone

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago #52496 by Lwsb
Replied by Lwsb on topic Looking for support group
Thank you appreciate the message. I go for my ct scan next month, the 6th month. My cancer is so rare (small cell) they don't have any promises but i have learned going through this no one has a promise for tomorrow. I have gone through all the motions through this (chemo & operation) but now memories of a year ago are coming back. December 16th is my anniversary of finding out I had small cell. The drs did not give me much hope but after everything, last ct scan was cancer free. I look forward to feeling normal again. People are uncomfortable talking or asking me questions about the cancer. I wouldn't mind if they did, but I just put on that happy face So I will walk my 2 miles and drink water and keep going!

7 years 4 months ago #52495 by GKLINE
Replied by GKLINE on topic Looking for support group
Welcome to our support group!
When I went thru the bladder removal surgery, I looked for a support group too.
There wasn't anything locally, so I started an internet search and fond this site.
Even my Dr asked if I could help some of his patients with their concerns, as their was nowhere to go with their personal questions and fears.

This group is made up of survivors who have gone thru similar experiences as you have. They are more than willing to listen to your concerns and even your rages and rants. You are free to bare your soul and ask away!

We can't replace a face to face group but we are as close to it as you can get on the net.

I do hope that your "new normal" is working out, without too many problems. And I hope you remain cancer free as you move on.

I found out that years after cancer left me....... I still find myself remembering.
I don't live with it on my sleeve, but I do not forget that this was a major point in my life and the little bastard can come back.
But as time passes, we get must get back on with our new life and push c into the back places of our minds.

George

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

7 years 4 months ago #52485 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Looking for support group
Welcome to our "support group" even though you no doubt wish you didn't belong! I don't know of any such local groups, since I live on the opposite coast. But you might contact someone such as a social worker attached to the urology department at a place like Mass General....they often do have such groups or might know of some.

The American Bladder Cancer Society Board has talked of some day having geographical groups of bladder cancer survivors, but we only have so much time and energy to spread around. Maybe "someday."

Perhaps that is why this Forum has caught on so well. It has become a support group for many of us. We all started out knowing nothing, feeling totally panicked and helpless. We have learned from each other and leaned on each other. You are welcome to join us!

If you have questions, or issues you would like to discuss with other survivors, Jack's suggestions are good ones. In addition, there is a "search" function at the top of the Forum and you will probably find more than you wanted to know on any topic by using it.

Wishing you all the best, and assuring you that you are NOT alone

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

7 years 4 months ago #52484 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Looking for support group
Lwsb,

Perhaps someone will have information on a support group in your area. Meanwhile, welcome to this site. People here are on the same path as you; some further along, some just beginning their journey.

May I suggest that you may wish start a new conversation by posting a topic about which you may have a question, information that deserves to be shared or is one of those nagging issues that just does not seem to be talked about.

You can post to any of the categories; at 5 months post, 'Invasive Bladder Cancer' might be a good category for posting. Whichever category seems like a good fit, recent posts show up under the 'Recent Topics' tab.

There are no professionals here. Just other bladder cancer (urothelial cancer). All topics are welcomed - feel free to speak or ask. While far less formal that a moderated support group, the amount of support here is amazing.

I am in my second year here, I appreciate this site, and I have been greatly helped by the information and support I have found here.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

7 years 4 months ago #52483 by Lwsb
Looking for support group was created by Lwsb
I am looking for a support group Had chemo and bladder removed - operation 5 months ago and can't find any support groups in the north shore area of massachusetts. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne