Coping

9 years 9 months ago #46528 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Coping
I am sorry that I am so late to post. First of all it takes incredible courage to tell us about this, because we do not share the bad with the good we don’t see people fighting the same battles, and if we do not share we cannot get the support we all need desperately at times. This place is all about survival and depression of one form or another is a real part of surviving bladder cancer for most.

I lost my best friend and older sister at 48 to suicide, I will miss her every day of my life. I understand depression and I understand long term depression. I know what it is like not to be able to look up because there is no light left. I also know why she did it, money problems, medical issues, personal issues the list goes on. But I will always wonder if she had shared, had talked, had reached out if somehow the burden could have been lessened to the point that she might have seen some light? I will never know, but I am so happy that you are reaching out. We can’t change things for you but we are here to listen and care.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #46492 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic Coping
I am in counseling, and on medication. I have been for several years. recently my girlfriend "I call her my wife because we have been together for 20 years" Had a falling out. She thinks I can just snap out of it! She does not listen to the doctors. I had been getting it from all sides. I just couldn't take anymore, and just snapped.

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

9 years 9 months ago #46491 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Coping

Not at all... corn is one of my favorites! But seriously, I hope you are feeling better and are out of that dark place. I believe that you are or you wouldn't be able to objectively look back at what happened and realize that was not what Gary would do... ever!

I think depression is bc's nasty cousin that just waits for our most vulnerable moments to pounce. If you feel that coming on again, please call your doctor or counselor, a friend, or just get on here.

I MEAN IT!!!

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN
The following user(s) said Thank You: dieseldoc

9 years 9 months ago #46490 by Markq
Replied by Markq on topic Coping
Doc,

I don't really have any magic advice to make everything better. I am glad your plan didn't work. It's just sad at times there seems like there's no other way out. Most people, myself included have dealt with depression to some extent or another during their lives. I'll just second what Catherine said about not being afraid to get help whether it be medication and/or counseling. For me at least, the burdens of life don't get me down as badly if I'm not trying to shoulder them by myself. You've got a second chance at life now - take full advantage of it.

47 yo, Ta G3
Diagnosed 11-24-10
BCG induction starting 12/17/10 followed by BCG maintance.

9 years 9 months ago #46489 by dieseldoc
Replied by dieseldoc on topic Coping
Catherine, thank you so much, you have no idea how much hearing from you means to me. I think you are as special to me as Mike was to every one on here. If that doesn't sound to corny. Mike was a very special man, I think everyone that knows him will miss him greatly.

T1,NO,MO battling bladder cancer since 2005

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #46476 by CatherineH
Replied by CatherineH on topic Coping
Hey Doc... I am so sorry that things got to that point, and I admire your courage to come here and tell us about it. Please do not feel any shame... sometimes it just seems too dark to see any light at the end of what seems to be an endless tunnel. It's a human reaction to being under a lot of pressure for a very long time like you have. And, shame only tends to deepen depression because we judge ourselves too harshly and that makes things seem even worse.

It sounds like now in retrospect, you see this as the wake up call that it was. You have been through so much the past few years, and I know what a mental, physical, financial, and emotional burden you have had dealing with all the treatments, surgeries, and just life in general at times. You are a strong person and a person who faces adversity straight on. This one just slipped up on you... and I know you're not going to go there again.

I do hope you are talking to your doctor about what happened. A good counselor can do wonders for your mental state, or at least it did for mine. Please stay in touch and I apologize for being absent for so long from the forum. Sometimes I have to take a mental and emotional break. I know you understand that!

Take care... you've got to get back to snappin'!

Best wishes... Catherine

TURBT 1/21/10 at age 55
Dx: T2aN0M0 Primary Bladder Adenocarcinoma
Partial Cystectomy 2/25/10
Vanderbilt Medical Center
Nashville, TN

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne