Life After cancer

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #43278 by GKLINE
Life After cancer was created by GKLINE
It is hard to believe it has been 4 years since I met all of you. At the time I was just about to go back to work and wondered about the future. My first Question on this forum was a timid; "Am I going to die from this?"
Mike replied; "You will probably die from something else.... like a passing bus."
Little did I know that, since I no longer had a bladder, I would probably die of something else entirely. Pretty sneeky there, Mike.

But I am writing today, about recovery and life after recovery. I am usually the "Get Back in the Game" guy on this forum, and I hope to take my own advice.

As some of you know, I have a friend who always wanted to go sports car racing on a local level and we bought a car together. Well, this Caterham 7, is one FUN little car. And, as usual in life, one thing led to another and I was racing in some good company, and being successful on track. After a very hot summer of racing at places like Watkins Glen and Lime Rock Park, we tallied up a season of 4 first place races and 3 third place races.... With ONE race left at Watkins Glen on Oct 6th.
MY pit crew (my wife Audrey) was ready for this race to determine the NY Road Racing Championship in my class. I was leading in the standings!
Qualifying in a downpour was a BLAST. Having never drivin this car in the rain, I was having a great time out there learning a totally new sensation. Qualified 4th out of 29 cars! I was Ready!
Starting the race, I had a plan! Pass the front row on the outside of the turn!
BRILLIANT! And It worked perfectly!
But as I accelerated to top speed, There came an awful silence from my car! This happend right after the loud kerblam! of my engine expiring.

Oh well, My pit crew (Audrey, the ace mechanic and cheerleader supreme) and I hugged in consolation and pushed the car into the trailer. That car had given us a summer full of fun. The Crew next to us wanted to know why we weren't more upset? Audrey told them we had been through so much before, this was merely a "minor setback!" And, "We'll be back! Stronger than ever! Next Season!"

So, there you have it! Missed it by "this Much" as Maxwell Smart used to say. Remember that old TV Show "Get Smart?"

So.... You have to have goals. And they don't always come to fruition. And there are lots of disappointments out there. But in every disappointment, there is a lesson.
This Summer was not about winning, or even racing. It was about meeting new people and hearing their stories and growing stronger for the experience.
We had a BLAST!

Thanks to all of you here. We couldn't have done it without you. 4 years ago I was just a guy who thought the c word meant "the end"
Now it is just a small "bump in the road"
These new "bumps" are just a lot smaller than that.

George and Audrey Kline

Light a man a fire and he is warm for an evening.
Light a man ON fire and he's warm forever.

08/08/08...RC neo bladder
09/09/09...New Hip
=
New Man! [/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne