Silly pole: Name the building on the Home Page.

17 years 1 month ago #4082 by Bob_P
Well, the Pantheon it is!
Rosemary, you’re a good guesser since you haven’t been there so a hardy: Nice Try for being so brave.
Joe, you are right all around. You got the name and the place and you were pretty close on the famous person buried there; it wasn’t Michelangelo but his painting buddy Raphael. And you are right about the rain: When the weather turns wet, the rain just comes right on in and get the floor all wet. I guess it’s been doing that for many centuries with no major damage yet.  Must disrupt church services a little I would guess though. It doesn't seem to stop the tourists. It was raining when we were there so we just stayed away from the center of the floor to stay dry.
Wendy, kudos to you for taking the pix. Yes, it’s an amazing building. They still can’t figure out how they got the concrete just right; light enough materials to not crush itself and strong enough to support all that weight!
There are a bunch of others buried there but I can’t remember…..I think Emmanuel I (the guy that unified the country from a bunch of city-states) is buried there also.
OK, I’m going to shut up before I sound like Cliff on Cheers. Oops, too late you say?
Bye, hope everyone had a little fun and got your mind off that other stuff for a while!
Bob P.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 month ago #4063 by clur
Hi Wendy
The Pantheon was my favorite building in Rome just fabulous and completely intact.The light inside from the little hole is amazing and the paintings on the walls so beautiful.We sat for ages in the little square in front of it drinking coffee. It was a sunny day in June so I cant answer the rain question and havent a clue whos buried there was it the father of the chap who started building it ?
Love Clairex

17 years 1 month ago #4033 by Mike
LoL Wendy that was driving me nuts I think I googled myself to death that is a cool looking building and looks great on the forum. So does it leak when it rains? I should get 5 points for effort lol :) Best wishes, Joe

17 years 1 month ago #4031 by wendy
Some trivia: I took this photo myself and used it here so as to avoid any copyright infringements! It is the Pantheon, and it's not in the forum, but in the middle of the city. I figured it looked enough like a Roman forum to use here for this forum. It has a hole in the top that lets in natural light, and the whole thing was pretty amazing.

I was in Rome for a conference on bladder cancer.
Wendy

17 years 1 month ago #4028 by Mike
Well Bob this much I know the building is in Rome and and the name of the building
is the "Pantheon". It burnt down twice and was reconstructed by Emperor Hadrian so
possibly he is buried in there or maybe Michaleangelo I don't know. Still checking out
the rain part I know this much if tourists come to visit when it rains they better bring there
umbrellas lol. :) Building Surveyer, Joe ;)

Now on the serious side I think the building leaks when it rains

17 years 1 month ago #4012 by Rosemary
Bob,

You must be really, really smart.  I always assumed that the building was Greek, but now that I look at it I'm not so sure.   Didn't the Greeks have "forums"?   I guess the Romans did also.

I'm going to not show my stupidity by making a guess here.....well, maybe I will.   I will guess and I will say that it is Athens and that Aristotle or that other fellow who is the Father of Medicine is buried there.  I have no idea what happens when it rains. [smiley=bath.gif]

Rosemary

Rosemary
Age - 55
T1 G3 - Tumor free 2 yrs 3 months
Dx January 2006

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne