Right distal ureter wall thickening

2 years 7 months ago #60944 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Right distal ureter wall thickening
Noni,  At this point you do not have a cancer diagnosis - there are non-cancer causes for a blockage in the ureter. Most important is to find out what is causing the blockage.

I copy my earlier reply in the forum to another person who had trouble finding information on ureter blockages / cancer:

"Ureter Cancer is frequently called Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma or UTUC. Using all three terms on google will provide many responses.

One recent drug approval for Low Grade Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma (LGUTUC) is "Gelmyto", a form of Gemcitabine.

I have had only one kidney since the 60s, thus there has been concern about the possibility of UTUC ever since the bladder cancer diagnosis; thus my interest in UTUC.

Not all ureteral cancers are from the bladder, as you have suspected. Independently, after bladder cancer was diagnosed I was found to have an unrelated Renal Cell Cancer in my one and only kidney. That cancer was described as having the potential to spread downstream to the ureter and bladder. Fortunately, the kidney cancer was successfully (so far) removed.

Maybe it is just me, and my situation, but I would want additional opinions and thoughts on how to address the ureter tumor problem before considering losing a kidney. Reliable sources on google (Cancer Society, well know major medical institutions, etc) will offer possibilities to discuss with your care team about ureter treatment."

Also, google search on "distal ureter" and "ureter blockage" and "Ureteroscopy". I hope this helps.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 7 months ago #60941 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Right distal ureter wall thickening
Sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately you main question will only be answered with time. As all of us can tell you it is a painful time when anything seems possible. The good news is that even if it is the big C the vast majority of cases are treatable. We can’t make time go faster but we are here if you need us. Please keep us updated. 

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

2 years 7 months ago #60940 by Noni
Hi Everyone, I’m new to this sight and right about now I’m a nervous wreck! Back at the end of July I had a lot of pressure and burning in my pelvic area thought maybe I had hemorrhoids. Doctor said no hemorrhoids but on a dipstick found a Trace of blood in the urine. Did a urine culture but said it was negative and ordered a CT scan of the pelvic area. I was supposed to repeat the urine culture at the next visit two weeks later but as the office said “it was very unfortunate the culture was never sent in “needless to say I was furious because as soon as I saw the Urologist he ordered another urine culture and found I had a bad UTI.  So so much for my regular doctor finding the UTI if I had it back then.
The  CT 
 Find was “ moderate right-sided hydronephrosis secondary to intrinsic, partial obstruction in the distal right ureter.  Suspicious for urothelial carcinoma. I am a cancer survivor of breast cancer stage one 14 years ago so needless to say I was shocked to hear this.

My urologist ordered another CT and did a CYTOLOGY which showed atypical cells and this past Friday he did a CYSTOSCOPY in the office. He said my bladder look good nothing unusual there but there’s no way to tell what’s going  on in the ureter without looking inside the ureter.  I’m told this is done under General anesthetic in the hospital is an outpatient surgery.  I’m really scared of all this and my upcoming test at the hospital. I have so many questions but I’m finding information regarding this type of cancer is very hard to find. Of course I’m praying that this is something else besides the big “C” but I probably won’t be that lucky. 

is there anyone out there with my type of problem or someone who can clue me in on the biopsy in the ureter?
thanks, Noni

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne