Not diagnosed but nervous about possible bladder cancer

4 years 11 months ago #57340 by Audreekylee06
Thank you . Good luck to you also.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #57339 by Jjbrown
I was just diagnosed January of this year. 47 y/o female. My symptoms felt exactly like an awful UTI but with a lot of bright red blood. The UTI symptoms were relieved a bit with antibiotics for some reason but never went completely away. The frequency part of UTI symptoms hung around which is why I went to my urologist. The bleeding only lasted 2 days. I'm still not sure why the antibiotic seemed to help with the pain and urgency when ultimately it was cancer.
Good luck to you!!

4 years 11 months ago #57338 by Audreekylee06
Thank you for nice words! I went to a urologist this past Wednesday and May 3rd he had scheduled to get me checked out.
I am also surprised how many women go with it and drs don’t think anything if it. I’m 36 and the dr says it’s uncommon in my age so maybe that’s why my gyno or primary didn’t refer me until a different dr brought it up. Thanks

4 years 11 months ago #57336 by sara.anne
Lots of people have blood cells in their urine and a cause is never determined. Yes, it can be a symptom of bladder cancer, but usually it is not. Unfortunately, many doctors ignore this in women since they think it is "normal" for us. It would be a good idea to get a referral to a urologist for an evaluation, but do not be surprised (but pleased) if it is not found to be bladder cancer.

Symptoms of bladder cancer are variable, and do not usually include pain. While urinary blood cells do show up, I, for one, have never had any. I was diagnosed after a year of repeated "rip-roaring" UTI's with no bacteria found. Other people do not experience anything like this.

As I mentioned above, you should go to a urologist who can determine whether there is any sign of bladder cancer. IF it is present, remember that it can be successfully treated when found early (which is why you SHOULD see a urologist. But don't be surprised if the cause of your red blood cells is never found.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 11 months ago #57335 by Audreekylee06
Hello all,
I was wondering what symptoms everyone had? I have a cystoscopy scheduled for May 3rd and a ct of abdomen/pelvis next week. I found out I have had blood in my urine(I can’t see it) possibly for over a year now. I had 2 urine test done February of 2018 and my dr said it was normal I also had had 2 done this year and they said it was normal too. A different doctor informed me I had blood in my urine and I informed my primary. Come to find out the Rbc showed blood in all of them. How the drs missed it I’m not sure. I was treated a month ago with a mild uti. I haven’t had any symptoms until they did the last urine sample, which was mild burning that lasted about 4 days. Also I use the restroom a lot but I thought it was from drinking a lot of water throughout the day. No pain.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne